BIAB and Liquoring back?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldpeculiar

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new here, so please forgive my ignorance. I have a question:
Is it possible to BIAB a full amount of grain bill for a 5 gallon batch in a 20 litre pot and then dilute/liquor back?. I have heard you can do it with success. I ask as i have been used to brewing extract in my 20 litre pot and want to try out a (new to me) technique without extra expense, until i see if it's for me.
Many thanks

Jason (Oldpeculiar)

:mug:

Hello, I'm new here, so please forgive my ignorance. I have a question:
Is it possible to BIAB a full amount of grain bill for a 5 gallon batch in a 20 litre pot and then dilute/liquor back?. I have heard you can do it with success. I ask as i have been used to brewing extract in my 20 litre pot and want to try out a (new to me) technique without extra expense, until i see if it's for me.
Many thanks

Jason (Oldpeculiar)

:mug:

Try the BIABacus excel sheet, enter you kettle size and play around with full volume additions. As far as i recall i did 21liter batches with a 29liter pot by diluting after pulling the bag.

You can download the sheet form here:

http://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?t=1869

Yes, you sure can, here's a helpful guide I wrote yonks ago: http://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=352
The guide is aimed precisely at folks in your situation where you are already brewing, have the basic equipment, wish to try a full- size All- Grain method without investing more in gear; all you need is the BIAB bag and a bucket.
There's one or two wrinkles with it, shout out if you have any questions.

Or hold a gallon or so back and then do a quick sparge after . Will add back your volume while increasing efficiency.

You can but it makes calculating hop utilisation a little less accurate. Another option would be to reduce the batch size to fit your kettle. After all, if you're just trying out BIAB it might be beneficial to make a few smaller batches, more regularly so that you can get a feel for it.

Thank you all, you have given me food for thought, i will be looking through all options here. i shall post once up and running. This forum/site is excellent.

Jason (Oldpeculiar)

Back