BIAB and High Final Gravity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taa800

Reaction score
I just read a question in BYO about a person that had too high of a final gravity consistently on his beers. For all of those that do BIAB, do you find that your final gravity is typically higher than you would have liked?

I do 2.5 gallon batches. I use a 5.5 gallon brewpot and put in 4 gallons of water, then my grains. I tend to have a high final gravity too. The article said this could be due to a thick mash. I tend to brew with 6 - 8 lbs of grain in my recipes. Would that be considered thick? I'm very happy with my efficiency. I'm typically around 80+%. But I don't hit my temperatures very well. I tend to mash on the high side (160).

What are others' thoughts on this that use the BIAB technique?

Thanks
Todd

Based on my minimal experience, you mash does not seem thick- the rule of thumb, as I understand it, is 1.5 quarts of water per pound of grain, and you use more than that.

Your temperatures are what stick out to me. When you hit that temperature range, you get less fermentable sugars. Try keeping them in the low 150s next time, and I suspect you will see your FG drop.

Your mash is average to thin, depending on your poundage. Your high FG is 100% due to high mash temperatures- that's what the mash is for. High temperatures favor alpha-amylase, which turns starch into larger unfermentable sugars. Lower mash temperatures favor the beta-amylase enzyme which makes smaller more fermentable sugar. Use the calculator below to figure out how much water at what temperature to add to get to your preferred mash temperature and you'll be good to go.

http://www.brew365.com/mash_sparge_water_calculator.php

your mash is average to thin, depending on your poundage. Your high fg is 100% due to high mash temperatures- that's what the mash is for. High temperatures favor alpha-amylase, which turns starch into larger unfermentable sugars. Lower mash temperatures favor the beta-amylase enzyme which makes smaller more fermentable sugar. Use the calculator below to figure out how much water at what temperature to add to get to your preferred mash temperature and you'll be good to go.

http://www.brew365.com/mash_sparge_water_calculator.php

+1

Back