Better to leave wort unboilled or boil it and add yeast tomorrow?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Akavango

Reaction score
During the mash, I decanted the starter and smell something off. I tasted the decanted wort and got a strong taste of infection. I don't have that kind of yeast in stock but can get another send over night.

Would it be better not to boil the wort or boil it and add the yeast tomorrow?

Thanks.

I would hold on the boil. That way if you pick something up in the next 24 hours the boil will clear it out for you.

Never mind it is a public holiday here in Ireland today. So won't be getting the yeast until wednesday. I don't suppose unboiled wort can last 2 days and still be good. I'll put the bucket in the fridge and check when i get the yeast.

With all of the lacto and other bacteria on the grain during the mash, I would boil the wort and try a "no chill" process. Everything that makes the spent grains sour is also in the wort before the boil.

At the very least, boil it for 15 minutes without any hop additions and cover it tightly. Then do a full boil after you get the starter right.

With all of the lacto and other bacteria on the grain during the mash, I would boil the wort and try a "no chill" process. Everything that makes the spent grains sour is also in the wort before the boil.

At the very least, boil it for 15 minutes without any hop additions and cover it tightly. Then do a full boil after you get the starter right.

That is not a bad idea actually. I may just try that. Thanks

One of my buddies came to the rescue. He had some Safale 05 which is supposed to be the same profile than the wlp 001 i was planning to use. Disaster adverted.

Thank you all.

Back