Better Pumpkin Ale Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eman24dx

Reaction score
Looking to order a Pumpkin Ale kit today (Extract) and I have 4 options. Looking for feedback on these kits from anyone who has made one or more of these.

1. MoreBeer Thanksgiving Ale
2. AHS Pumpkin Ale
3. Midwest Pumpkin Ale
4. NB Smashing Pumpkin Ale

AHS has free shipping on kits and MB shipping is free when I order 2 kits so unless NB or Midwest kits are much better I would go with 1 or 2.

Appreciate your help...

I did the AHS pumpkin ale kit last year. It was a good beer for sure, but I found the "pumpkin pie" flavor to be lacking. A lot of people seem to recommend doubling up on the spices. If I make it again this year that's what I will do.

I picked up a Brewers Best Pumpkin Spice Porter, but haven't brewed it up yet. Looking forward to seeing how it comes out though.

I brewed the AHS Pumpkin just yesterday. Just went to the basement to check on it and it's fermenting like crazy and smells like pumpkin pie.

I roasted 4 cans of Libby's pumpkin and added brown sugar and 1/4 tsp. of Pumpkin Pie Spice (McCormick). I used half when I steeped the grains and the other half went directly into the boil (60 min.). I added the spice pack included in AHS' kit with 5 min. left in the boil.

Smells really good now out of the airlock. I will let it go for a week and give it a taste. At that point, I'll determine whether or not I need to add more spice to it to get it to my liking. But so far, so good.

Back