Better of 2 Evils

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arneba28

Reaction score
So after the result of my last brew. A Vienna Ale, that tasted good with the exception of a initially strong banana and bubble gum esters. It is starting to fade and is getting quite good now. However, I dont want to deal with this again. I currently have a strong scotch ale going and temps have been anywhere from 65-75 (yes I know too warm) However I am hoping that the strong peated and smokey flavor will balance any offs out.

So I have 2 options. The temp in my apt will go anywhere from 65 to about 80 durring the summer if not a bit warmer. The temp in my basement tends to stay between 55-65. yes that big of a jump in a basement is retarded but thats what it is.

So with option #1 of the apt. I am bound to get off flavors and more banana and bubblegum flavors,
And with option #2 of the basement. I am lucky if fermentation works at all.

Should I be looking at a brew belt or something like that that I can regulate temp with or can I start fermentation in the apt for a day or two(and hope it doesnt cause an excess of ester production) then put it in the basement and hope it finishes or will this prematuerly cause the yeast to floc and drop. I want to be able to brew this summer but dont spend a boat load on a spare fridge and regulator.

If your lowest basement temp is 55 you should be fine. Many yeasts will go down to 59 degrees and with the heat your fermentation produces you'll be right on the line. You'll get much cleaner tasting beers, in general, at that temperature of course but I definitely vote for the basement over the high temperatures and fluctuation of the rest of the house. Besides, you probably aren't gonna hit 55 down there in the upcoming summer.

I don't know if this is an option, but this is what I did for a similar situation where I had basement temps of 60 (which caused a stuck fermentation), and upstairs temps of about 75-80:

I noticed I had a very high temperature gradient going from my main level as I walked down the stairs to the basement. I realized that I could place the fermenter on the stairs, and depending on which step I placed it on, I could dial in the temp. too cold? move it up a few steps. Too warm? move it down a step or two. Works great for me.

Granted, my steps are not very high traffic, so little to no risk of someone knocking it down. If your steps receive a lot of traffic, I might not recommend this.

I would go with the basement. You might consider making a box of sorts and using a light bulb to get a little extra heat. At 65 degrees your golden.:)

Regardless of where you do it, though, the biggest danger is the temperature fluctuations. You're better off at at steady 60 or a steady 72 than constant fluctuations. You could place the fermenter in a cooler with some water around it to help insulate it and guard against the changing temperature.

If I had a basement that stayed 55-60F and upstairs it got up to 80F, I would find some way to recirculate air between the two & take advantage of the natural cooling of the basement air.

My vote is for the cooler side though. I fermented too high one & got a banana-bock that nobody will drink.

earlytimes said:
I don't know if this is an option, but this is what I did for a similar situation where I had basement temps of 60 (which caused a stuck fermentation), and upstairs temps of about 75-80:

I noticed I had a very high temperature gradient going from my main level as I walked down the stairs to the basement. I realized that I could place the fermenter on the stairs, and depending on which step I placed it on, I could dial in the temp. too cold? move it up a few steps. Too warm? move it down a step or two. Works great for me.

Granted, my steps are not very high traffic, so little to no risk of someone knocking it down. If your steps receive a lot of traffic, I might not recommend this.

Exactly what I do. I currently have a Dunkel in the PRimary. I put it on the second step closest to the basement for the initial Phases of fermentation. Kept the carboy at 62. as the carboy temp dropped to around 60, I would raise it 2 steps. It is now at the top step closest to the kitchen at 62 degrees, 1 week into fermentation.

I like the stairs idea posted by Earlytimes. :mug:

I don't have a basement, so I am going to have a hard time this summer. :( I'm thinking, what the heck, we don't use the bathtub in the hall bath much anyway. I have plenty of room for 4 buckets and some frozen juice bottles.:D

I ferment in my garage. In the summer it stays between 65-75, and in the winter it remains between 50 and 60. I fermented ales through the winter, and certain it never got in the 60's in there, and I came away with the best brews I've ever made. Everything fermented down to where it was supposed to as well.

Since my garage temps are going to get high this summer, I am just planning on brewing styles that do well with hot fermentations. Farmhouse ales anyone?

I vote for the basement too. IMHO, you're better off a bit on the cool side than the warm side. You might have to let the fermentation run a bit longer but it will still work. If you really want to get a handle on it, I'd see if you can get a freezer or fridge off Freecycle or Craig's List and a temp controller.

HTH,

M.

If you make a fermentation box, an insulated box, you won't have any issues with it in the basement. The heat that fermentaiton puts off will keep it warm enough (in the low 60's without a problem) if it is insulated.

I am going to go with the basement on this next one I am doing on Tuesday. It kills me to not be able to watch the krausen rise and hear it bubbling away. Better it kill me then the beer I suppose. I have been taking frequent reading in the basement. And the air temp is around 60-64 and these temps have been early morning or night. So even if it gets to 67 I will still be ok. I always cover the carboy with a box inside a box and I have noticed that does hold in a bit of heat. I am going to raise the carboy an inch or two off the ground so that it doesnt sit on the cold concrete and will allow for a more uniform ambient heat in the basement.

I am planning on letting fermentation start upstairs just to cut down on lag time. Is there a time that it should be moved? ounce krausen forms?

dude...basement. make some steam beers, cream ales, alt beers, etc.

most ales will work fine at those temps as well, depending on the yeast.

i've had many a brew with nottingham yeast ferment at 55-60F. They've all turned out very clean tasting with full attenuation.

:mug:

cool beans guys. thanks. Thinking Tripel, maybe Alt for tomorrows brew

Back