Better Buy: Thief or Auto-siphon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luckylindy345

Reaction score
So I have about 20 bucks burning a hole in my paypal account (I know, it's so much!) and was wondering what you guys think it would be best spent on. I'm slowly building my arsenal of brewing equipment and I'm now looking at either a beer thief or an auto-siphon. I would love to hear which of these items you guys think would be the most useful for a new brewer. I have a batch in my primary (glass carboy) and just now realized I won't be able to take hydrometer readings as easily as in the bucket w/spigot. On the other hand, I'm eventually gonna have to rack my beer to a bottling bucket so maybe I should get an auto-siphon...

The base part of an auto siphon will work OK as a thief too. You can dip it in (without the second bent part) and the little valvey thing will hold the beer in. Now, it is not perfect, it leaks some, and can make a mess, but it will do the job (pull samples for hydrometer, taste, etc.).

I would go with the autosiphon and get the no-leak thief later when you have the extra cash.

I would go auto-siphon. You can get away with a turkey baster for extracting samples from a carboy but when it comes to transferring between vessels your going to love the auto-siphon.

My autosiphon cost $13 and my wine thief (turkey baster) cost ~$5 at Walmart. Get both.:ban:

Ok, looks like I'm going with the auto-siphon then. Does it matter what size I get (1/2'' or 5/16'')? Does it depend on the size of my rack and fill tubing or does one size just work faster?

Auto Siphon and a turkey baster with the change...

I actually stopped using my wine theif...I was having a heck of a time reading the sample in it...so I bout a test jar, and a turkey baster instead...much easier.

You'll really want the longest one available.

Ok, looks like I'm going with the auto-siphon then. Does it matter what size I get (1/2'' or 5/16'')? Does it depend on the size of my rack and fill tubing or does one size just work faster?

It depends on the size of your tubing. You connect the autosiphon to your tubing and it acts as your racking cane ex: if you have 5/16" tubing the 1/2" autosiphon will be too large to connect.

You'll really want the longest one available.

Yooper? Lauren? Mulligan? Ladies, there's your latest ordained memorable.......

+1 Auto-Siphon. And some 1/2" hose you use for brewing, after sanitized, can make for a cheap theif. Ummmm, the longer the hose the bigger your deposit that goes into the test jar. Put your thumb over the end to stop the flow.

If i was you, I would get auto siphon and a turkey baster,
Use the baster to draw the wort. drop the wort in the hydrometer case check to see the gravity. Then drink the sample.

cheers :mug:

I have an autosiphon and it looks like a good gadget.

Advice from limited experience: Use 5/16" instead of 3/8" tubing w/ autosiphon. The larger tubing may "cavitate" and lose siphon. 5/16" will be harder to push onto the autosiphon, but I'm currently on the lookout for the smaller size. I hear the trick is to warm the tubing in hot water before pushing onto the autosiphon. Should be worth the xtra effort to avoid oxygenation.

Back