Best way to use unknown type of hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TipsySaint

Reaction score
A friend of mine gave me about 2 lbs of wet harvested vacuum sealed frozen hops from Northern Maine. I have no idea what kind of hops they are...I don't really want to open the packs until i know what my plan is.

So....maybe a SMASH with some small amount?

Anyone ever do this?

What are the hazards?

Anything i should look for to indicate that the hops have gone bad in some way?

Any thoughts on a recipe?

:rockin::ban::mug:

Pick up some type of bittering hop and then use exclusively the mystery hop for late boil or whirlpool additions. If this were me, I'd be aiming for something like an American Pale Ale in style.

I'm no expert, but if the hops were not dried they can go bad. Off hand I forgot how exactly they go bad (i.e. moldy), but it's b/c of the water that the hop cones store when picked. That is why people either use them within 48 hours from when they are picked to do a "Wet Hop" brew or dry them right away before they go bad.

Now if the hops smell like cheese or onions, that is an indication of the hops going bad.

I would do a SMaSH brew. I am doing a 3 gallon (2.5 kegged) SMaSH brew with a total of 3oz of hops. The last 5 gallon SMaSH I did had 5oz of hops and turned out pretty good.

I would try to see if you could ask your friend if the hops were dried or not before packaging. Good luck!

Do they smell okay? If so, freeze them until you can do something with them.

I'd use something else for really bitter and without much character at 60 minutes (Magnum?) and use the mystery hops for all the late additions.

they were not dried. no way...he is not that conscientious :)

Here's a great user question to BYO regarding freezing wet hops for use later on. It's probably worth a quick read, I recall reading it a while back. The user reported no problems over his tenure of brewing with frozen wet hops.

I say go for it and do a SMaSH brew or as others have said, use a neutral bittering hop and then use them as late additions, flame out, whirlpool and dry hopping. Either way, please report back what you did and how it turned out. Also, keep us posted as to how they smell and take photos if they look funky too. BREW ON!!! :mug:

https://byo.com/stories/issue/item/3529-freezing-wet-hops-mr-wizard

Zero them. Assume they are like 8% and use a couple oz.

Interesting to see how it comes out

Or buy a 6 pack of Coors. Pop the top add different amounts to each bottle. Recap and give it a week. Try them and see.

Back