Best way to get oily residue out of new cornie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
PBW and shake shake shake shake and then run it through the tubes?

Question #2

Since I do not have CO2 yet when I put solution into the new cornies and tip them upside down they leak out the connects even though they are tight?

this is raising newbie concerns! The poppet is in - lack of pressure? - is this a real concern or a newbie concern ????

Let it sit for several hours (or overnight) before pushing it out through the dip tube.

I use OxyClean Free and it works wonders. Fill the keg with warm/hot water. Mix in a scoop to the "1" mark with the OxyClean scoop. Depress the post on the dip tube to fill it. Let it stand for anywhere from a couple hours to a couple days depending on how dirty it is. Then scrub with a brush if you need to before rinsing thoroughly.

Did you try replacing the o-rings and/or using keg lube? Some kegs require pressure before they will seal anyway.

My method of cleaning a corny if its infected or if its extremely dirty or has had root beer in it previously:

1. Fill it 2/3 up with boiling or near boiling water.

2. Dump a scoop or 2 of Oxy Free into the keg.

3. Close up the lid, pressurize a tad (so that boiling water does not potentially leak onto your hands)and shake that keg up well.

4. Let it end on each end for half a day, and then open and dump (the water should be slightly still warm).

5. Rinse with hot water WELL. Keg should be sparkling clean inside at this time. Never had it not be clean as a whistle after this soaking technique.

6. Remove diptube and rinse WELL with hot water. Replace diptube.
Note: You can remove poppets and posts at this point and give them a boil to clean them up as well. Would not hurt to replace all orings as well at this point. I usually do.

7. Fill 1/2 with starsan solution, put lid on, pressurize a tad and shake WELL. Let it sit for about 20 mins with starsan in it, Shake well again, and hook a picnic tap up along with the CO2 tank and push the Starsan out into a bucket for reuse.

8. Once its empty and most of the foam is clear of the line, its pressurized, sanitized and clean. Ready for beer!

This process has never failed me with my kegs and needing to get them cleaned up and ready for the next batch.

Some kegs require pressure before they will seal anyway.

Close up the lid, pressurize a tad (so that boiling water does not potentially leak onto your hands)and shake that keg up well.

Ball Lock

That was what I was wondering - brand new kegs so the O rings can't be old so I wonder if I need SOME pressure.

Back