Best way to backsweeten this wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeeAliceBrewery

Reaction score
The recipe below has been fermenting for 6 weeks now...a few days ago I used Meta and Sorbate to stop the yeast and also added some isinglass to help with the clarity. Prior to the additions I pulled the sample for my FG reading...then poured it into a glass with some sugar for the wife. It has amazing flavor, but I was wondering if I could add the welch frozen grape or other flavored concentrate to backsweeten which would hopefully add even more flavor? Below is the recipe I came up with...it really is good. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Blackberry/Berry Blend wine
3 64 ounces of Welchs unfiltered blackberry juice
5.5 64 ounces of Old Orchard Berry Blend juice
2 – 96 ounces of Walmart Grape juice.
3 lbs of dextrose (corn sugar)
6 tsp of yeast food
1 packet of Lalvin QA23 yeast

OG 1.074
FG 1.000

Adding Meta and Sorbate will not stop the yeast or the present fermentation, adding the combination of Potassium Sorbate and Potassium Metabisulfite will stop any new fermentations. Normally, once the wine is fermented to dry, somewhere around .992 -.990, you need to rack to a clean carboy, add the Meta & Sorbate, then back sweeten with a simple syrup to your desired sweetness, you can add some more concentrate to add flavor.
I'd use 71B-1122, it will enhance fruit flavors and add fruity esters, it produces long-lived aromas that result from the synthesis of relatively stable esters and higher alcohols.

That was pulled straight from Scott Labs Fermentation Handbook 2015, I highly recommend it, it will open up a whole new world of wine making, not only can you search charts that pair approx. 40 different varietals with approx. 40 different yeasts, you'll be able to research the alcohol tolerance, temp. range, sensory effects, fermentation speeds, nitrogen needs and what varietal characteristics they can bring to the wine, and that's just the yeast, it also covers Nutrients, Tannins, Enzymes, Malolactic bacteria, and a bunch more, click here to get the Fermentation Handbook

I hope this helps.

The wait continues...it appears fermentation is not finished. I have the feeling it may be several months more before this gets bottled.

Back