Best temp for finishing fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

popsicleian

Reaction score
Last Sunday I brewed the Centennial Blonde recipe that's so popular on this site, except I used WLP001 yeast. I don't have any fermentation temperature control. It has been fermenting in my basement--for the first few days there was a lot of activity and my stick-on thermometer was reading in the mid-high 60s, but activity slowed down at around the same time my basement got colder for some reason, so I don't know if it slowed down naturally or as a result of the temp change. At one point the stick-on was showing a temperature of 58, but now it's back up to 60-62. I know it's likely to be a bit warmer inside the fermenter. There doesn't appear to be much airlock activity (I'm using a 5G Speidel for 3.25 gallons, and I can't see inside without opening it up).

I'm wondering if I should leave it in the basement until I bottle next weekend or bring it upstairs, where it's warmer. The only place I can put it upstairs that wouldn't be in the way has an ambient temp of 70-72, and I'm wondering if that's too high.

Thanks!

Everyone will tell you the best way to be sure it's done fermenting is to check with a hydrometer over a couple days. Since it was in the 60s for the first few days and there was lots of airlock, I would say the bulk of your fermentation is complete. The temp drop didn't hurt it, but cold temps can make the yeast go dorment. How long has it been now? I think it wouldn't hurt to rouse/swirl the fermenter and bring it to your 70s area for a few days to settle and clean up. Cheers!

Perfectly normal. I have the same situation, basement is 58-60. When fermentation is active, the wort temp can be as high as 68. After 2 to 3 days when things slow down, back to room temp. Fermentation is an exothermic reaction, gives off heat. After 3 or 4 days, I bring the beer upstairs where it is 64 or 65 to finish.

Bring it upstairs. That'll help it clean up after itself. Once it's been in the fermenter for 2-3 weeks you can go ahead and bottle it. Use a hydrometer if you want, although I rarely do any more.

+1 on bringing it upstairs. the Transport will rouse it the little it needs and the higher temp will help it finish. Plus at this point if you did have a good active fermentation for 2-3 days on a lower gravity beer your beer is most likely done, you don't have to worry about the off flavors that might develop with higher temp fermentation.

I just checked the gravity, and it is EXACTLY where it is supposed to be, which is really exciting since my first two batches ended up so far off. I moved it upstairs--I'll leave it there for a few days, then check gravity again and bottle next week.

Back