Best storage solution for 5 gal batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willyd57

Lets get'er done!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all, and thanks for allowing me to be a part of this group. It's awesome.

I have brewed my own beer in the past, but that was using a pair of 5 gal buckets and some extract. Looking back on that experience, I can say that even using extract produced better beer than I was buying at the store. But that was 25 years ago.

Now, I intend to go well beyond using extract and do my own mashing. But I'm getting ahead of myself. My question is not about how to brew beer, but rather how to most effectively store, and serve it.

I have 2 cases of bottles ready to go, and I will most likely use them for my first batch or two. But I am looking for a better answer. Kegging a 5gal batch is quite attractive option. But, it is expensive to get going that way. Its not the cost of a Corny keg that concerns me, it is the Co2 bottle, gauges, and refer unit.

I have been looking at Growlers as well. But they don't hold much. So, I guess I would have to leave the un-carbonated portion of the batch in the bucket until the growler needed refilling. That don't sound good.

I usually drink about 1-2 beers a day. Having said all that what do you guys think is the best solution for me?

Cheers
Bill

I’d say start with bottles. Have friends save them for you.
Start watching Craigslist for cheap fridge, kegs and other components. Get fridge and use it for bottles till you get everything.
I’m trying to move, so I’m holding off on kegging for now.
Cheers

...I have been looking at Growlers as well. But they don't hold much. So, I guess I would have to leave the un-carbonated portion of the batch in the bucket until the growler needed refilling. ...

I read a story where a guy put primed beer in a growler. It exploded overnight and sent glass and beer all over his kitchen.

Bottling is not that bad, especially if you have a place you can set up to do it efficiently. I brew at my shop, but mostly drink at the house, so it's most convenient for me to have it in bottles. I also give away a fair amount to friends, having it in bottles makes that convenient.

Yea, when I buy beer from the store, I buy Fat Tire which is not a screw off top. I have a little over 2 cases saved up in the basement. I will use them for now, and go with tom's Idea of looking for a used kegging system and reefer part by part if need be. Thanks for all who replied! Happy brewing.

I grabbed most of my kegs from either Craigslist or local HB club. Same for faucets, CO2 tanks and a regulator. I did buy my first regulator from a website. Sometimes if you check these and regular basis, you can catch a deal on kegging equipment.

Have you thought about kegging?

When I started kegging this is what my setup looked like:

k2.jpg

A keg (they cost circa $50 used, I have a number of those), a CO2 tank (probably around $60 new, used you may do a lot better), a regulator (under $50 for a 2-gauge model), about $15 for the lines and disconnects and picnic tap...and a fridge. Cheap on Craigslist, maybe you can get one for nothing.

Here's an interesting thing: you can still bottle if you keg. I do. I will fill a dozen or two at a time, use them to share w/ friends and family, take them to a poker game or a picnic, whatever. Once you have the keg, the rest is relatively easy--and you can learn how here.

It also depends on your budget as to weather you can tolerate a small overhead per brew or a big upfront purchase.

You could start kegging and use sugar to prime then use a soda stream CO2 bottle for serving. Not the cheapest CO2 but little upfront cost until you decide to really get into it.
I keep a sodastream bottle around for portable operations and rent a big bottle for main use and since the big bottle CO2 is much cheaper i use it for pushing cleaner and carbonating as well.

Let friends and family know you are looking for a fridge, my fermentation chamber cost me some beer so basically free LOL. My kegerator is my old kitchen fridge as I upgraded that one to a bigger one.

I recently tried bottling in 2 liter soda bottles because I ran out of glass. It worker well, really well go a recent camping trip. I’m not crazy about my beer being in plastic though. I also bottle in 22 oz bottles and growlers. I’ve been using growlers for years with no problems. That said I do use the flip top ones and usually drink the growlers pretty early.

I agree with bottling the whole batch for a low cost mothod that works well. I bought a case of new bottles when i had 2 batches conditioning.

Like other’s said, watch Craigslist for keg kits, or shop kegconnection.com if and when you want to buy a new kit. For bottles, ask around if there are homebrewers around you. I’m sure one of them that has started kegging has a bunch of extra bottles to give away. Or stop by a glass recycling bin.

I found and purchased a used keezer on Craigslist...7cub ft with three corny legs, triple tap, temp control, and 20lb CO2 filled tank....$400 out the door but totally plug and play.... Works great and I'm happy

Back