Best Stainless Conical???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see your point. I can see I wasn't completely clear in my explanation. I meant that every outlet, including the top is a tri-clamp fitting on the BH fermenter. It is the top that gives out. Yes you may be able to (for a short duration of time while pushing your beer out of the fermenter) be able to get up to 5 psi. However I ferment at around 7 psi for the entire ferment period so the vessel has to hold the pressure indefinitely. When I push to my corny's I may have closer to around 12 psi sometimes more for various reasons. The design you show will not do either at all. See photo of failure below.
Gotcha... I have the conical the your pictures show and I believe for the heavy gauge lid to be bent like that it took something other than just 8psi to deform it...

As with most things, you tend to get what you pay for: except with wine, golf clubs, or anything with the Blichman label on it. :)
I say this a little tongue in cheek though. As with anything, there are levels of quality. If you are a professional race driver, an off the lot performance car at any price isn't going to cut it. For a weekend warrior though, it will, and for a fraction of the price the pro is paying (though he is likely not paying for the stuff to begin with).
Point is, for a homebrewer, the effort of cleaning the seals isn't usually a big issue between each batch, so even the blichmann is fine.

The BH fermenters are pricey, especially the jacketed versions. I'm sure you will love it though, as it is hard to fault from the sounds of things.

I think the gist of the thread though is how can get the (least expensive) best conical (and what are the tradeoffs).

I am curious about the post Kirbuno made showing a failure on a seal under pressurized fermentation. Can I ask why do you ferment at 7psi, how you supply the pressure, and what is the benefit? I understand that there is hydrostatic pressure in all fermenting vessels due to volume of fluid and height of the vessel. Most commonly (I assume) closed fermentation with an airlock/blow-off is performed with no significant head pressure above the wort/beer.

TD
TD, The carbonation comes from the yeast. I like to start of slow and work up to 7 psi. There is a huge string of over 2,000 replys on this subject.

Long version original: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthre...=closed+system

I like it for many reasons, don't want to start a whole new conversation and hijack this thread. Here is a short version on a different website of some of the comments for you to look through if you are interested, but not wanting to go through the original site.

http://biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=1933&start=0

AD - Seems weird, but it did it at the point where the clamp bracket was, there is just no strength in a flat edge like that. I tried tighting the clamp band more but just ended up ruining the silicone. I sold it to someone who was not interested in the same direction I have taken so got most of my money back, not counting shipping.

Finally getting ready to retro-fit SS "lids" to my Plastic conicals. I am not expecting them to perform well. Too many places that can harbor infection. Heck - maybe I use them for sour brewing...

Can we summarize regarding the various brands discussed so far? Be nice for someone to make up a table/chart that includes weldless/welded, CIP capability, Pressure ability (and max psi), Temp control included (submerged coils/jacket), Sanitary fittings on ALL connections, Capacity available, Cost, Customer Support

For me, the single most important part is CIP followed by sanitary design (and frankly unless is a DIY thing I can't imagine you could buy CIP without it being sanitary, but apparently the BME Chronical this is the case with at least one weldless fitting... dumb.... I do not need to pressure rack. I would like integrated jacket or submersible coils, but I don't think submersible coils will be sanitary. For now I am leaning to the Stout Wide 15gal conical.

TD

For me, the single most important part is CIP followed by sanitary design (and frankly unless is a DIY thing I can't imagine you could buy CIP without it being sanitary, but apparently the BME Chronical this is the case with at least one weldless fitting... dumb.... I do not need to pressure rack. I would like integrated jacket or submersible coils, but I don't think submersible coils will be sanitary. For now I am leaning to the Stout Wide 15gal conical.
TD

I hear ya on the weldless fitting on a conical that's mostly TC. But, its not that big of a deal really.
My walk-through of using my BME Chronical:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=579210

I have the 14 gallon SS brewtech BME. I get what folks are saying about the weldless fittings but found that along with the temp system this thing was by far the best bang for the buck I could get in a SS conical. its not "the best" conical. its the best that fit what I wanted it to do in a price range I could afford. I haven't had it very long but here's my experience. I pressure push beer with it. It seems folks seem to think you cant on here for some reason. You have to be a little careful doing it is all. I put it together carefully. No leaks in the first two ferments (on my third now). Cleaning it isn't too difficult even with the coils in place. I have a walk in shower I walk in there with it and use a hand held shower sprayer ot rinse it out good then use a bottle brush etc on the coils. its a little labor intensive compared to my speidels but again its worth it and hey I don't like to clean things but this is a hobby and I spend my time doing it and doing it correctly. In the end if I had unlimited buck I would have went with BH jacketed conicals at more than twice the price. That's where Brewtech is though and I don't think they are trying to compete really against that product. Its like I drove a 96 chevy caprice, and moved up to a 2016 Camaro. Would I like to drive a ferarri? Sure maybe one day but that aint where im at.

FWIW, Spike brewing is working on a new conical that looks like it may be worth waiting for. No firm details other than all TC fittings and a really nice dump valve. Pressure transfers seems to be an issue for many conical s that aren't designed to handle higher pressures. That said, you can do it as jabba11 mentions and you can see that in my thread too.

http://spikebrewing.com/collections/fermenters/products/1-2bbl-stainless-steel-conical-fermenter

Agree here. Interested to see if he does the domed top on it. Would be really awesome if he puts like a 6" manway in the top! Doubtful, but still would be awesome! BH and Glacier do that and its soooo nice...

yes quite a few people here have them.. they are almost identical to the stout conicals. I have the 12.5 gallon stout version which has all the same dimensions and design as their 13 gallon version..works well.

they have a store on ebay and amazon as well ebay is the best priced option I think.

Well that thing is wicked.... I want one of those now. lol

Now that I am close to to 80 gallon mark with my new one I have to say the 15gal jacketed from Glacier may just be the best if price isnt the primary concern. Im still waiting to try the new release from Spikes, just dont know if I can hold out til May

Now that I am close to to 80 gallon mark with my new one I have to say the 15gal jacketed from Glacier may just be the best if price isnt the primary concern. Im still waiting to try the new release from Spikes, just dont know if I can hold out til May

The Glacier is so nice... Yes, waiting on Spike is getting old now... I cant understand why its taking so long... I love their products and it seems like they were making progress on the new conical but I have not seen an update from them in almost a month. My last brew I was tempted to buy a brewers hardware conical, but reason kicked in and I stopped myself.

I emailed Spike earlier in the week and this was the reply.

"The 14g is in production and should be available come April the 7g should be available a couple months after that."

I am looking for a conical and would pay for quality, but can I wait until June?

OK, good to know. I responded to their survey about the product before and hope that they can stick to this time table. I really would like to buy one.

I emailed Spike earlier in the week and this was the reply.

"The 14g is in production and should be available come April the 7g should be available a couple months after that."

I am looking for a conical and would pay for quality, but can I wait until June?

Spike told me the 1/2bbl and 1bbl are due late summer. Guess I will buy from Brewers hardware.

I've been in waiting for these since May of last year, maybe earlier... I can't remember. Its actually kind of good that it is not available at this point. I don't brew that much and currently my Spiedel is holding up quite nicely. i actually really like it. $80 and Jaybird makes some neat solutions for add-ons to it.

I guess it will come down to what other things I'm planning on doing in my house before I drop $600-700 on this conical. I really need a good hood solution.

27 gallon heated and cooled B3. Love it.

51817.jpg

20180116_014926.jpg
haven't seen anyone on this thread in a while... did we all agree brewers hardware for the win!?

View attachment 562039haven't seen anyone on this thread in a while... did we all agree brewers hardware for the win!?
I think the new ss brewing and spike unitanks are the latest craze.. I may be wrong here but cost vs performance wise, I believe they are also a much better value for a homebrewer. in another year or so I"m wouldnt doubt there would be another option taking the ranks...

Friends,

I'm trying to determine which stainless steel conical fermenter is best overall (in regards to quality, features, performance, and price) for the 5-15 gallon range.

As we all have seen, there is a wide spectrum of prices for stainless conicals. How does a less expensive brand like SS Brewtech compare to a more expensive model like one from Brewha or one from Spike Brewing? I know there are a lot of factors to consider, but I would like to start an informed conversation to see which stainless conical gets the best reviews from everyone out there.

Back