Best southern brews?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tacks

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm planning a trip down to Mississippi at the end of next month, followed by a shot down to New Orleans and then coming back up to Michigan through the Smokey Mountains. I am more or less unfamiliar with beer from the south and was wondering what I should pick up as I head through on my trip. I'm budgeting about $200 and want to get the most bang for my buck. Also, I was wondering if there are any bottle shops that may be independently owned that do bottle swaps, I have a pretty solid collection of Michigan beers that are hard to come by and would take some with me if I knew I could trade it along the way (Backwoods Bastard, Hopslam, Blushing Monk, Night Tripper, Bell's Planet series). Thanks in advance, looking forward to the trip!

Where are you planning on going in MS? I don't know of any bottle shops that will do a trade with you, but there is a pretty active beer club in Hattiesburg that would most likely be interested. There are a number of breweries now in the state that offer tours with samples as well. Post up your planned schedule and I can point you in the right direction.

Where are you planning on going in MS? I don't know of any bottle shops that will do a trade with you, but there is a pretty active beer club in Hattiesburg that would most likely be interested. There are a number of breweries now in the state that offer tours with samples as well. Post up your planned schedule and I can point you in the right direction.

Leaving MI on 5/28, staying in or around Nashville that night, down into MS the 29th to Jackson area, Brandon I think. There for a couple days, then leaving the 31st for New Orleans and staying there for 2 days, then leaving the 3rd and headed back (playing it by ear on the way back, not sure when we'll be where). Definitely going up through Tennessee, Kentucky and Indiana/Ohio though. Thanks for the heads up about Hattiesburg though, may be able to work that one into the trip, just a bit longer of a drive to New Orleans than taking 55 straight down. EDIT: just checked out the difference, its only 10 minutes. Totally making the trip. Hopefully will make contact with someone from the club.

While in Jackson, hit the Lucky Town Brewery, good folks there, and don't miss the Bulldog craft beer bar. In Hattiesburg, Southern Prohibition Brewery has tours on Friday from 4 to 6pm. Worth the trip in my opinion. The Keg and Barrel in Hattiesburg is as good a beer bar as you are going to find. Do a search in google about it, it has a great tap wall and all the wait staff is fluent in beerese.

While in Jackson, hit the Lucky Town Brewery, good folks there, and don't miss the Bulldog craft beer bar. In Hattiesburg, Southern Prohibition Brewery has tours on Friday from 4 to 6pm. Worth the trip in my opinion. The Keg and Barrel in Hattiesburg is as good a beer bar as you are going to find. Do a search in google about it, it has a great tap wall and all the wait staff is fluent in beerese.

Thanks a ton, I'll be sure to check them out!

Asheville is not far from the Smokies, and probably the best beer city in the country. I think there are more than two dozen breweries there and in the surrounding area now. Wicked Weed's sour beers are amazing!

Knoxville is just west of the Smokey's and is home to Saw Works Brewing Company. Look for their beers on draft through east TN and North Carolina. Their Rocky Hop IPA is one of my favorite beers. Their Brown Ale and Pale Ale are worth mentioning too.

Lazy Magnolia in south Mississippi. Abita (not exactly small anymore) in the new orleans area.

There are a number of breweries now in the state that offer tours with samples as well.
4p.jpg

Latest posts

Back