Best SMaSH recipe you've made???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have done many SmAsH beers, i am torn between the fruity hops and more traditional varieties for which i find the best.

Galaxy was one of my favourite SmAsH recipes however im drinking my EKG one right now and its fecking delicious.

What hopping schedule did you use for the EKG?

I did a smash with rye, cascade and 34/70. I only used 5lbs of rye for 5 gallons and got a great 2.5% pale ale. People usually guess it's a 6-7% beer. Cascade just on its own really is something amazing. Dry hopped with cascade as well.

What hopping schedule did you use for the EKG?

15g @60
25g @15
20g @Flameout
22g Dry hop 7 days.

It is not a strong hop at all, not hugely noticeable as you would have with a newer variety hop.

Smooth, herbal and so damn drinkable

1.090 OG
60 IBU
20 lb Maris Otter
4 oz EKG (2@90 FWH, 2@30)
WY1028/WLP028 x 4L starter

Mash @ 153-155 for 90 minutes. Boil for another 90 minutes. Ferment @ 64-66 for 3-5 days, then bump it up to 70F for another 2 weeks. Condition in secondary for at least 3 months. Keg or bottle to 2.2 volumes.

Golden Promise/Eldorado with all 30 minute and less additions

If you had to give a review on this what would you say for it? I have used El Dorado a few times and like it, but have thought of doing a Smash to get a better impression of what it really contributes.

1.090 OG
60 IBU
20 lb Maris Otter
4 oz EKG (2@90 FWH, 2@30)
WY1028/WLP028 x 4L starter

Mash @ 153-155 for 90 minutes. Boil for another 90 minutes. Ferment @ 64-66 for 3-5 days, then bump it up to 70F for another 2 weeks. Condition in secondary for at least 3 months. Keg or bottle to 2.2 volumes.

One hell of a Smash! It must miss some hops flavour though... no late addition/dry hop??

I've been thinking of making a SMaSH with Vienna malt. Not really going for a lager, probably still going to ferment it with an ale yeast (although I might do SF lager yeast at ale temps). What single hop should I pair with it?

I've been thinking of making a SMaSH with Vienna malt. Not really going for a lager, probably still going to ferment it with an ale yeast (although I might do SF lager yeast at ale temps). What single hop should I pair with it?
I have my first SMASH dry hopping now. I have a lot of different hops on hand and went all Vienna and Mosaic. Wll be drinking over the weekend. Somebody somewhere said it was awesome..

Correction: I used centennial as my bittering hop and all other hops at flameout and 150 deg steep

Yeast was S05 ale yeast

Mosaic is nice

Fuggle goes really good there

Ended up deciding on a Vienna and Mosaic brew with a bit of Columbus to bitter. Not quite a SMaSH, but oh well!

12.5# Vienna

1 oz Columbus @ 60
.5 oz mosaic @ 20, 10
1 oz mosaic @ 5

Fermenting at ale temperatures with white labs SF lager yeast

If you had to give a review on this what would you say for it? I have used El Dorado a few times and like it, but have thought of doing a Smash to get a better impression of what it really contributes.

A enjoyed it and the keg went fast. I definitely got a good amount of citrus from the eldorado and it even added some candy dried fruit sweetness. I really think el dorado requires another hop to pair with it though to really make it pop.

My best was when I used a single malt and a single hop. [emoji57]

I REALLY liked my pale / Amarillo SMASH. I did it years ago. I think I might need to revisit it!

Curious to all you SMASH beer puros out there. Does toasting a small amount of Pale Malt in a Pale / Amarillo SMASH beer count as a SMASH? Or does toasting it turn it into a different malt that cannot be considered Single malt?

Cheers
Jay

I REALLY liked my pale / Amarillo SMASH. I did it years ago. I think I might need to revisit it!

Curious to all you SMASH beer puros out there. Does toasting a small amount of Pale Malt in a Pale / Amarillo SMASH beer count as a SMASH? Or does toasting it turn it into a different malt that cannot be considered Single malt?

Cheers
Jay
I did a vienna and mosaic smash once and did a decoction during it. Not a big one just enough to change the color a bit and add a differnt taste. Thats still a smash. But i think what you are asking would not be a smash. You are basically making another malt.

Munich/Hallertau smash with 34/70 yeast and a 1oz dry hop, double decoction mash... Its been in the keg for 2 weeks and its already one of the best lagers I've made.

If I had to give it a style, I'd say it's closest to a Marzen, but the hop profile is more like an altbier

I'm currently drinking my first ever SMASH. Marris Otter with Citra. 3 bounces of Citra during boiling and 1 oz dry hopped with 10# malt and US o5 yeast. Very good combo.

Since Beerbomb resurrected this thread, I'll add mine. :)

My favorite SMaSH I've brewed was my Belgian Blackberry SMaSH. Pale Ale malt with Bramling Cross hops. It also had 1lb of clear Belgian candi syrup, 1/2lb of lactose and 3lbs of blackberry puree. I used Imperial Napoleon yeast.

My favorite SMaSH to date is the following recipe I concocted:

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Imperial Flagship #A07
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.070
Final Gravity: 1.013
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
IBU: 50
Color: 5.5

ABV: 6.3%
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 4 @ 64F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 11 @ 68F
Brui'n Water profile: well water adjusted to 140, 18, 26, 255, 48, 87 for 425 hardness and 72 Alkalinity
152F mash with an adjusted 5.2 pH

13.5# Maris Otter
0.5oz Mosaic (12.7%) in first wort
0.5oz Mosaic at 15 min
1.5oz after FO at 180F for 30 min whirlpool

Ferment 4 days at 64F, then 11 days at 68F

1.5oz Mosaic dry hop 4 days
cold crash to 35F for 3 days, keg, and force CO2

Tasting Notes: Juicy and complex hops with a perfect malt background. Abundant hop aroma and flavor, but bitterness is soft and supple for 50 IBUs

Some more SMASH results for the archives. My overall goal was to see which of Breiss' base malts might come closest to Crisp's Maris Otter, and also to try Simpson's Golden Promise.

I used Simcoe as an early bittering addition only (19 IBUs) and US-05 fermented at 62F for 1 week, then 68F for another week, to let the malt shine through as clean as possible. Each of the malts below was its own separate SMASH. The OG's are listed below too, all run on same equipment, processed as close to the same as I could, all brewed within 3 days of each other to minimize differences due to aging, then bottle conditioned for 2 weeks:

1. Breiss' Brewers Malt (BM), OG = 1.054
2. Simpson's Golden Promise (GP), OG = 1.055
3. Breiss' Goldpils Vienna (GV), OG = 1.050
4. Breiss' Pale Ale (PA), OG = 1.052
5. Crisp's Maris Otter (MO), OG = 1.055
6. Breiss' Ashburne Mild (AM), OG = 1.054

FG's all were around 1.010.

My TL;DR rankings are: MO/GV/AM > PA/GP > BM.

Beer color, lightest to darkest was as follows: BM, GP, GV = PA, MO = AM. No surprises there. GP is a tad lighter than GV and PA, which look the same to me. AM might be slightly darker than MO, though I doubt I could really tell them apart.

Flavor: MO is probably best in show. Pronounced malty finish, subtle but complex flavor all on its own (bread/biscuit, and slight nut qualities). GV has a nice malty finish too, with a bread/biscuit complexity that is close to MO. AM has more bread/biscuit/nutty flavor, perhaps even more than MO on those notes, but not matching MO's malty finish. PA and GP are slightly malty with overall clean finishes. BM was plainest of the group.

Mouthfeel: AM had the most body, followed by MO, then GV/PA/GP, with BM last again.

As for the goal, MO earns its praise. GV seems to be my close 2nd, though I like AM for different reasons as well. GP was clearly better than BM, but so were GV and PA, so that may depend on what you're looking for. I'll need to do more tasting comparisons to tease apart more differences for GV/PA/GP. I didn't include a true pils in the series, so that would be a good dimension to explore.

YMMV. Cheers!

I'm brewing a SMASH-ish Vienna lager inspired recipe today to evaluate vienna as a base malt, but I'm including a pinch of dark malt for color and a bit of ~20L crystal for a little body and sweetness. It'll be hopped with saaz only. Recipe below.

OG 1.050
FG 1.013
ABV 4.8%
IBU 26
SRM 12

11 lbs vienna
6.0 oz cara ruby (20L)
2.5 oz carafa III dehusked
2.0 oz acid malt
1.0 oz saaz @60min
1.0 oz saaz @40min
0.5 oz saaz @20min
0.5 oz saaz @5min

Mash@150
Wyeast 1007 German ale
Ferment @66f (ambient)

Hope it turns out well!

I'm brewing a SMASH-ish Vienna lager inspired recipe today to evaluate vienna as a base malt, but I'm including a pinch of dark malt for color and a bit of ~20L crystal for a little body and sweetness. It'll be hopped with saaz only. Recipe below.

OG 1.050
FG 1.013
ABV 4.8%
IBU 26
SRM 12

11 lbs vienna
6.0 oz cara ruby (20L)
2.5 oz carafa III dehusked
2.0 oz acid malt
1.0 oz saaz @60min
1.0 oz saaz @40min
0.5 oz saaz @20min
0.5 oz saaz @5min

Mash@150
Wyeast 1007 German ale
Ferment @66f (ambient)

Hope it turns out well!

It looks like a great recipe. But, I wouldn't even call it SMaSHish with 4 different malts.

Hmmm.. I have a bunch of Vienna........

It looks like a great recipe. But, I wouldn't even call it SMaSHish with 4 different malts.

Hmmm.. I have a bunch of Vienna........
4 malts? You're counting the acid malt? I brew with 100% RO, the acid malt is a water adjustment, and only because I manage my water profile and mash chemistry, oh, and I also wipe my own a$$ :p

Edit: I would love to see what recipe you come up with, I think the saaz in mine is way outta line and I'd love to know what pairs better with vienna. Also, the cara ruby smells incredible, strong caramel and chocolate on the nose, I'm thinking of brewing a sweet stout or a dubbel using a bunch of it to highlight the flavors.

Simpsons Golden Promise + Loral ( 9 oz / 250 gr ) + US-05 | 5.6% | 35 IBU
Crisp Maris Otter + Amarillo ( 7.5 oz / 210 gr ) + Nottingham | 5.5% | 35 IBU
Weyermann Vienna + Mandarina Bavaria ( 7.1 oz / 200 gr ) + K-97 | 5.5% | 30 IBU

I have made almost 30 SMaSH beers this year. All have been 1-gallon batches. The best have been
Maris Otter and Citra
Maris Otter and Mosaic
Wheat and Sorachi Ace

Possibly my favourite single hop beer I've had lately was a Godiva one, which is one of the new Faram hops. It's not easy to get hold of in homebrew quantities though.

If you're wanting a slight spin on the classic nobles, how about the 1980s US derivatives like Mt. Hood, Ultra, Liberty, and Crystal?

Or some of the new Euro derivatives like Barbe Rouge?

If you're wanting something lagery with a bit of a twist, Endeavour works nicely.

For something just plain weird - Polaris.

You can have some fun with some of the obscure modern British varieties like Archer and Flyer if you can find them.

The US derivatives sound like a good call - I’ve not used US hops and I think this is a great way to find out about them.

Cheers

At our brew club in November we’re hoping to get a few people all brewing the same SMaSH differing only hops.
http://www.wehomebrew.club/2019/10/02/smash-recipe-for-hops-experiment/

Basically 1045 Maris Otter fermented using Nottingham.

What would you use?
I want to try a noble hop I think.

From my humble experience, Nottingham mutes hops flavour and aroma quite a bit, so you might be better off with something like us05 or bry97 if you want to experience the differences of the hops best.

Back