Best place to buy apple trees

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

area123

Reaction score
First post here..

I want to plant more apple trees to eventually grow my own cider apples. I have some winesap and granny smith trees now but just a few, but at least I know they grow pretty good on my place. I want to plant maybe 100 new trees this spring and choose the best commercially available tree that is good for hard cider. If I buy seedlings for "real" cider apples they are very expensive when you are talking about 100's of trees. That may come later but for now I just want to plant a good general purpose cider apple.

I was actually just thinking about buying a bunch of honeycrisp trees at about $8 each for 2'. The apples seem fairly tart for an eating apple and have lots of juice and seem to keep well.

Any ideas are appreciated concerning apple types and places to buy.

Thanks!

Stayman, Grimes Golden, if you really want to plant 100 trees for cider and wanted to do it on the cheap side buy a bunch of rootstocks and learn to graft, its pretty easy, and then you could get any kind of cider apple you wanted to grow. We purchased half our trees and grafted the other half ourselves, lots of fun. 100 trees really isnt a big order compared to a big high density orchard especially since you are going to break it down into different varieties. But you need to order soon, some of the cider apples are already sold out for spring 2016.

Grandpas nursery, Cummins Nursery, Vintage Virgina apples, Centuryfarm nursery, Raintree, St Lawrance nursery and Fedco. WVMJ

Do you really need 100 apple trees? New trees need irrigation the first few years if the spring and summer is dry. Do you have the water available and the funds to install the irrigation pipes? Do you know how much water each new tree needs in a week? What about attacks by blight, insects and deer? Do you know what to do about those problems? What planting system and tree spacing are you using? Is each tree getting a tree stake or are you using a trellis system? If your 100 trees survive for 5-6 years and you get a crop, what are you going to do with 100+ bushels of apples? You going to pick them all yourself? Do you have time to prune 100 apple trees? If not, your new orchard will become overgrown, hard to manage and unproductive. My 2 cents, start with about 20-25 trees at most, get some experience and put another 20-25 in next year.

Bobwells Nursery or Stark Bro Nursery both are too notch. don't worry too much about climate zone, but getting your soil right is key. Good luck!

Thanks for all the responses. I like all those sites. I ended up ordering a few trees and some root stock from rain tree. And I ordered a bunch or scions from a guy on eBay since those were cheap. I'll also try to get some scions locally from an orchard. Guess I'll get to practice me grafting!

Thanks again.

Back