Best Parts for DIY keezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rjstewart22

Reaction score
Hey guys,
So after about a month my keeper build is in full swing. Here's the thing, I've been able to get some amazing deals by buying not exactly "for beer" stuff. for example. ATP pneumatics sells a 100' package of 3/16x5/16 vinyl tubing for like 20 bucks with free shipping on amazon. A lot of posts say this is too thin but it has the smooth inner wall and a max psi of like 100 so I'm not worried about it blowing up on me. Anyway my question is this. Where can I get shanks, barbs, tailpieces, and other misc hardware? I want to make sure that my keeper doesn't blow up so I'm ok paying a premium for nice line hardware and couplers.

-Jake

Bevaragefactory.com

Kegworks.com

MidwestSupplies.com

Bargainfittings.com

Northernbrewer.com

You can find most (if not all) of what you need on these websites.

Just ordered a handful of faucets and shanks from Ritebrew. Package already shipped! Prices are unbeatable. Do not get cheap faucets, I have 2 and they are terrible and need cleaning a lot. I am switching to perlick 525PC that ritebrew sells (until they are all gone). To my knowledge any faucet will fit any shank. To confirm this I would buy both from the same vendor, or ask first.

....ATP pneumatics sells a 100' package of 3/16x5/16 vinyl tubing for like 20 bucks with free shipping on amazon. A lot of posts say this is too thin but it has the smooth inner wall and a max psi of like 100 so I'm not worried about it blowing up on me.....
20cents/ft sounds like a good deal but cheap is not always better. In my limited experience, I can smell cheap vinyl hose very easily while vinyl beverage hose, not so much. If you can smell it, it's a good bet that smell will get into the beer.

Check out this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/beer-line-tests-solution-plastic-taste-60380/

20cents/ft sounds like a good deal but cheap is not always better. In my limited experience, I can smell cheap vinyl hose very easily while vinyl beverage hose, not so much. If you can smell it, it's a good bet that smell will get into the beer.

Check out this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/beer-line-tests-solution-plastic-taste-60380/

I agree. When it arrives iI'll certainly give it a good run for its money and post up about it. but its FDA food grade and NSF 61 certified. And it's only about one mm smaller OD than micromatic with similar burst pressures. So I'm just hoping that I stumbled across something here.

But beyond that I'm still miffed about the faucet shank connection. Are they universal or will some shanks not fit some faucets? Shanks are they last thing I need before I can start my build:D:D:D:D

I just came across a similar listing on amazon! Did you get your tubing yet? Did it smell?

$13.53 for 100' of vinyl tubing... the price sounds too good to be true.
ATP Vinyl-Flex PVC Plastic Tubing, Clear, 3/16" ID x 5/16" OD, 100 feet Length
Brand Name ATP
Part Number PVC316-516ANA

But beyond that I'm still miffed about the faucet shank connection. Are they universal or will some shanks not fit some faucets? Shanks are they last thing I need before I can start my build:D:D:D:D
What are you miffed about? Pretty sure I did my best to answer your question. I have 2 cheap faucets now and 5 perlick's coming. I have no doubt in my mind the perlicks will screw right onto my older shanks.

I just came across a similar listing on amazon! Did you get your tubing yet? Did it smell?

$13.53 for 100' of vinyl tubing... the price sounds too good to be true.
ATP Vinyl-Flex PVC Plastic Tubing, Clear, 3/16" ID x 5/16" OD, 100 feet Length
Brand Name ATP
Part Number PVC316-516ANA

That's exactly what I ordered. I'll post here when it comes in.

We'll I appreciate what you are saying but there are plenty of posts about perlicks not fitting shanks. So as happy I am that your setup is going to work that doesn't exactly tell me if mine will. Mainly because I'm trying to decide 1/4" and 3/16" bore shanks

All my shanks are 3/16" barbed. I think they will be delivered today so I will let you know if the do or don't fit my shanks.

http://www.farmhousebrewingsupply.com/

They have the cheapest Accuflex BevSeal beer line you'll find, which is by far the best line you can get if your sensitive to vinyl flavors.

Some people cant taste it, others say it tastes like their chewing on a rubber hose when serving beer through vinyl that has sat in the line for hours or days...

Its a huge pita to work with because its so rigid, but it works great.

That's exactly what I ordered. I'll post here when it comes in.

We'll I appreciate what you are saying but there are plenty of posts about perlicks not fitting shanks. So as happy I am that your setup is going to work that doesn't exactly tell me if mine will. Mainly because I'm trying to decide 1/4" and 3/16" bore shanks

Your beer line is 3/16" so your shanks and tailpieces should be that as well. I've not heard of a beer faucet not fitting a particular shank before.

There's actually a bit of math to determine your line ID and lengths. It depends on how far away your kegs are going to be away from your faucets. Typically, the shorter the distance the smaller the ID. Since you're building a keezer, it's best that you go with a 3/16" setup. Bars that have kegs in their basement would be better suited to 1/4" or 5/16" setups.

But I'd still recommend 10' of hose for each faucet, even inside a keezer. It's about keeping a decent flow without too much foaming. If your hose is too short you'll get a lot of foam. If your hose is too long you won't get a decent flow.

Temperature striation inside a keezer also greatly contributes to getting a really foamy first pour. I'd advise putting a fan inside the keezer to keep that cold air moving around the shanks and beer lines.

Your beer line is 3/16" so your shanks and tailpieces should be that as well. I've not heard of a beer faucet not fitting a particular shank before.

There's actually a bit of math to determine your line ID and lengths. It depends on how far away your kegs are going to be away from your faucets. Typically, the shorter the distance the smaller the ID. Since you're building a keezer, it's best that you go with a 3/16" setup. Bars that have kegs in their basement would be better suited to 1/4" or 5/16" setups.

But I'd still recommend 10' of hose for each faucet, even inside a keezer. It's about keeping a decent flow without too much foaming. If your hose is too short you'll get a lot of foam. If your hose is too long you won't get a decent flow.

Temperature striation inside a keezer also greatly contributes to getting a really foamy first pour. I'd advise putting a fan inside the keezer to keep that cold air moving around the shanks and beer lines.

Yea so the beer line thing is actually pretty easy math. If you're really trying to be accurate you can contact the brewery and found out what the settled pressure inside the keg is and temp. Then just run your reg to the psi. Then use whatever line less than 1/2" you have and the equation for pressure loss in the line. That equation includes consideration for ID. For example for every foot of 3/16" there are three or so PSI lost. So you can short hand calculate your pressure down to about 1 PSI(or whatever dispensing flow is best for your beer) at the faucet or use the actual equation to be precise.

Yea a fan has definitely been put on the list after reading a bit.

Fuzzewuzze stick your line in some hot water for a while. Might be a little more pliable for you

Your shanks will fit any faucets. I've been dealing with kegerators for 20 years. The shanks from my first kegerator fit my brand new perlick faucets and every other faucet I've had. My original faucets fit my brand new shanks and every other shank I've had.

I'd be more worried about that tubing giving off flavors to your beer then anything else. But you already bought it so hopefully it works out for you.

Yea I should've put a notice up about the fact that at 15 bucks for a hundred feet I'm ok paying for it just to experiment haha

That's a healthy attitude. FWIW, I've straight up WASTED way more money then that in my brewing life on gear that either I didn't need, or I replaced/upgraded, long before it's useable life ended. :mug:

Fuzzewuzze stick your line in some hot water for a while. Might be a little more pliable for you

That just makes it pliable enough to get on the shank, the rest of the coil is still super rigid and no amount of heating it will do anything ;)

30Bones. Cool I think I'm going to order 3/16" shanks. Any word to with or without nipple?

The little I know, chrome plated will have the nipple attached to the shank, stainless has separate shanks, straight, 90's etc.

Mine are all with a nipple. One less place to leak IMO and the price is more than right.

Also random question. I'm not anywhere near a glycol system yet but out of curiosity do I need a cooler? Or can I just run a pump and a bunch of line? I don't see anyone advertising just pumps without a cooling part so I assume the answer is that glycol requires more cooling than the ambient temperature in the keezer would provide. But I figured I would ask

Alright finally after much struggle and a little getting ripped off the keeper is built. I'll post up pictures soon.

On the topic of the tubing: I have yet to get beer into the line but I tested it with water and sensed very very little off taste to it. I left water in the line over night and then gave it a test and I have a fairly sensitive palate to plastics so I am broadcasting this tubing as good at this point. After a few pours Ill start a thread about it.

I built a rolling platform for my 20 cu ft freezer with 5 " clearance height wheels on it. That in addition to my 2x10 collar the faucets are at a great pouring height.

HUGE ups to alphaomega and wilconrad for putting together/selling a boxed thermoregulator at an incredible 50 dollar price point. Way way way more functionality than what is needed in a simple keeper but quite frankly it was cheaper and in some cases easier to use than simple thermometer type units. I checked it with two different thermometers and it is keeping my ridiculously old freezer with exactly the hysteresis I have it set to. So help these guys so they can keep helping us.

Harbor Freight is your friend. Unless you are planning on making this your daily tool take the 50-80% discount and don't whine about it.

So all in all thanks for the help everyone. I'll keep updating until the beer starts flowing. :mug:

EDIT: I forgot to say- word to the wise I'm sure everyone is more intelligent than me and already knows this but check your craigslist buy before you hand over the money. Even if the seller is confident and nice and accommodating and even if you you drove four hours to pick it up. Make them show you it working.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1409873998.517652.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1409874010.391599.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1409874017.156275.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1409874023.795772.jpg

Back