Best or suggested hops for kombucha 2nd fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kamora

Reaction score
Hi all, just joined up...two months into experimenting with brewing Kombucha, came across a couple of videos of adding hops, this is great as i'm quitting booze and this would be a great social drink to have at my leisure. I see from online brew companies theres lots to choose from ranging in different levels of AA but i've no idea if higher or lower percentages are suitable, as kombucha is already tangy i guess i'd be looking for aroma, flavour...more than bitterness.

Bitterness from hops usually only occurs above ~170F (that number is debated). So unless you want to steep hop tea and add that, you won't extract any bitterness. The alpha acids (AA) of the hops shouldn't matter in this case because they are a measure to predict how bitter a beer will be.

Adding hops to the fermenter is called "dry hopping" and it mostly adds aroma, and sometimes flavor. Hops are split into categories: bittering, aroma, and dual purpose. You'll want to find hops that are either aroma or dual purpose. Each hop has a unique aroma and flavor profile: for instance Cascade and Citra are known for citrusy flavors, like grapefruit. There are dozens of hop varieties to choose from.

Awesome, thanks for that bit of knowledge. Helps me decide which ones to buy now. Much appreciated.

Oh and also, theres options for 2019/2020when purchasing. Presuming the older the better? Or not so?

Last edited:
Hop aroma tends to fade quickly if they're not properly stored. Brewers like to buy hops from newer crops because they will stay fresh longer. As long as the hops are sealed air-tight and kept below 40F, they can last a few years. I've bought hops from 2019 crops without issues. Similar to grape harvests, the characteristics of the yield will change from year to year (based on temperature, soil conditions, weather, terroir, etc.), some brewers prefer a 2019 crop to a 2020 crop or vice versa based on the flavors/aromas from that year.

I recommend buying from Yakima Valley Hops, but if there's a supplier closer to you that might be better. Also, do you have any desired flavor/aroma characteristics in mind? I might be able to help you narrow down the options based on your goal. I also recommend hopslist dot com for researching different types.

Latest posts

Back