Best Online Supplyer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbeachroach

Reaction score
Hey Guys Im getting ready to start formulating my own recipies and was wondering if you can give me the best online supplyer in your own eyes and why. Im looking on the best prices for putting together my own recipies and also curious if any of the online stores offer free shipping any time of year

Do you pay tax when ordering from an online store?

I used NB exclusively when Is tarted. No complains. Used AHS once, no complaints. Use BMW exclusively now for the brew builder and monthly discounts and contests and his constant presence on hear. No complaints. AHS also has a large presence here. Never used Midwest just cause I've had no reason to try another vendor. You really can't go wrong with either of those 4. I comes down to who has the ingredients in stock when you need them and who's website you prefer navigating. I did notice a 5% increase in efficiency going from NB to BMW.

I know AHS, NB and BMW have flat rate shipping and I think they're all $6.99.

Rebel Brewer (www.rebelbrewer.com)! I've used Midwest and Northern in the past. Last 2 orders have come from Rebel. The cart on the website was down a few weeks back so I dropped them an email. Got a call back and less than 3 hours they filled and shipped the order. Great prices, great people, great service. If you're close enough to Nashville you could also pick up in person rather than pay shipping. With RB, since they're in TN you'll likley have to pay sales tax since you are also in TN.

While most stores don't charge tax for you items (usually because they aren't "certified" to collect tax for that state) I believe you are still required to pay tax for items sent to you. Or is "Use Tax" just for businesses?

Technically you are required to remit use tax for items where the store didn't collect sales tax for you. Maine's got a pretty standard system:

Sales made over the Internet are subject to the same sales tax application as mail order sales. If the seller is required to be registered to collect Maine Sales Tax and the product is shipped to a Maine address, the seller should collect the tax on the sale. If the seller does not collect the sales tax, the purchaser would owe a Maine Use Tax, payable directly to Maine Revenue Services, based on the sale price of the goods. Most Maine taxpayers report this use tax liability on their Maine 1040 - provided the purchase of a single item is less than $5,000.

Compliance is, shall we say, "spotty".

i think morebeer.com is the way to go. they carry a ton of malts, and a decent variety of hops, but they only carry white labs, and a couple dry yeasts. if you order more than 60 bucks, its free shipping, but it will take about a week for you to get your stuff, depending on where you live of course. when they run out of stuff i need, i use NB

I exclusively use brewmasters warehouse and cannot say enought good things about Ed. I usually get my order 2 days after placing the order.

BMW is the best hands down. I've used all and none compare with respect to prices, customer service, availability of a variety of items and cheapest shipping.

The only downside is lack of pics on his site but that's a small price to pay for the best service.

Brew builder is flat out awesome. The monthly 10% off code is righteous, no other places offer this as regularly. Everything in America should be 10% off for the asking right off the bat. Unfortunately the others do not seem to agree.

mod edit About AHS, his recipe selection is excellent but his site seems less friendly than others. But if you build your own recipes, then there is no need for pre-built recipes.

Don't hear much from NB but they are ok. They ship fast and occasionally offer a 10% off on specific schit.

Never dealt with Midwest, they seem bland and their site isn't the greatest it seems.

Overall, BMW is the winner.

BMW is the best hands down.
<snip>
Don't hear much from NB but they are ok. They ship fast...
<snip>
Never dealt with Midwest, they seem bland and their site isn't the greatest it seems.

I live in Wisconsin and have ordered from AHS a few times (no problems), NB, and Midwest. NB gets ingredients to me the fastest (typ. 2 days even with the flat-rate ground transportation); they aren't always the cheapest (but good) but they have a good selection (although their malt list has shrunk a tiny bit) and haven't done me wrong yet.

Midwest is often a little cheaper than NB but doesn't have as much selection (like bags of DME, last I looked) and takes a bit longer to ship (3 days). Still never a problem with them.

Depending what I need, I look at NB first then Midwest. I haven't tried out BMW, but I will have to do so.

Hey Guys Im getting ready to start formulating my own recipies and was wondering if you can give me the best online supplyer in your own eyes and why. Im looking on the best prices for putting together my own recipies and also curious if any of the online stores offer free shipping any time of year

Do you pay tax when ordering from an online store?

You only pay tax if ordering from your homestate.

Store Hours:
Tues - Fri: 12 to 6pm
Saturday: 9am to 1pm

Address:
Rebel Brewer
105 Space Park North
Goodlettsville, TN 37072

Phone:
615-859-2188

e-mail:
[email protected]

Rebel brewer is great, and Brewmaster's is great... it would be worth comparing your order on both sites, which both are so close that they will get to you within a day or two.
Unfortunately, yes you would pay sales tax to rebel brewer (not BMW) if you live in TN, additionally Rebel Brewer does not have flat shipping. So it could come out cheaper (marginally) depending on your order.
Otherwise they're both awesome shops, and I know both owners and they are amazingly dedicated to the hobby.

Back