Best Method to Sanitize Wine Thief

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jota21

Reaction score
Unforunately, I dont have the extra space/bucket to keep 5 gallons of Starsan around, nor do i brew frequently enough to justify mixing such a large batch, so i'm wondering how people sanitize longer items like their spoons/wine theif.

When you check the gravity for consecutive days, it always makes me wonder if i'm doing a good enough job of sanitizing the thief.

Am i right in assuming most people just use a spray bottle?

Star*San plus distilled water in a spray bottle lasts indefinitely.

For racking canes, wine/beer thieves, keg diptubes, etc. I often use a wallpaper tray (hardware store item) and it only takes a couple quarts to cover long skinny items, rather having to fill a keg or bucket. :mug:

StarSan spray for a single item like a thief is what I do. Multiple items during a brew day are more likely in wallpaper tray or bucket with Iodophor as it is just easier to deal with that way. I like having the StarSan around in spray bottle to hit the beer taps with after use.

When I am doing alot of racking, I will make up a gallon or two of iodophor sanitizer and put it in this.

meat_lug.jpg

It's long enough to lay my auto siphon, racking cane, tubing, etc., without wasting too much.

I believe some people have fashioned long skinny starsan-holding-contraptions out of capped pvc pipes.

Yes. one of the best time and mess savers in my brewery.

Here are some that others made: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/racking-cane-sterilization-88030/index4.html

Also great for soaking in PBW, bleach, or whatever. Thief, racking canes, lengths of tubing, autosiphon.. If you use a wide base and mouth and a narrower tube in between, it doesn't use that much star-san. Mine takes 1/2 gal to fill, and I use it for a few weeks at a time.

okay, maybe this is a dumb question, but my thief is pretty big, so how do you ensure you spray the entire inside of the thief? it seems a spray bottle would be difficult to ensure that the entire inside of the thief comes in contact with the starsan.

Back