Best method: Cleaning many corny kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanppp

Reaction score
I have to clean about 25 cornelius kegs that have kicked and been sitting around a while. Anyone have a good method for efficiently doing this?

Thanks!

While I contemplate rigging up a keg washer, I know I would only use it for an initial wash. I am a fan of breaking down my kegs between (nearly) every use. In a case where the keg has been sitting dirty for any length of time I would definitely break everything down.

While I contemplate rigging up a keg washer, I know I would only use it for an initial wash. I am a fan of breaking down my kegs between (nearly) every use. In a case where the keg has been sitting dirty for any length of time I would definitely break everything down.

I built one and still break my kegs down each time. It actually makes the build simpler if you don't make the beer and gas line connectors. Then it's just a sump pump and the vertical pipe. I use mine between every batch and it simplifies cleaning.

I've also done initial cleaning of used kegs with a pressure washer out in the yard. It's a gigantic mess as the small opening tends to send the water right back at you.

One tip if you don't already know, not all kegs use the same hardware. When you break them down make sure you don't mix all the parts together. Or at lease group them into similar keg types. Fortunately for me I only had 4 kegs and the sorting wasn't so hard. With 25 it could take some time!

Back