Best insulation for keg tower

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kupermanp

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a true tdd-1 kegerator. I recently converted it to a 3 tap tower. The kegerator already has a tower cooler which I have installed but the tower is quite cool to the touch (enough that I'd be worried about condensation when the humidity picks up in the summer) . I was wondering what if any extra or replacement insulation I should use for the inside of the tower. Right now it has a thin layer of packing foam type insulation.

Thanks
Paul

Since you already have a tower cooler fan installed, you want to keep as much space open in the tower itself to allow for the cooling air to flow, so you definitely should not do any spray insulation (like Great Stuff). I just built my tower cooler fan but haven't installed it yet. However my problem is that I'm building an outdoor bar for my kegerator and I want to ensure the tower stays cool, so here's what I bought based on a suggestion from an employee at Home Depot:

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Frost-King...il-Pipe-Wrap-Insulation-Tape-FV15H/100174724/

I'm going to tape all the sides of the inside of the tower with this pipe insulation tape, put the foam insulation back that originally came with the tower, and then set-up my tower cooler fan. I'm hoping that works! I may have to build some sort of contraption that goes around my tower to protect/insulate it more since mine is outside in San Diego, but that might work for you! Hope this helps

Ken

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I 100% completely regret posting this before my POS unit arrived from towercooler.com. First off, after ordering it through amazon.com, I got a tracking number for my shipment, but after a month it still said that USPS was waiting for the shipper to drop off the package. So they never sent it. After contacting them, they said that USPS is notorious for loosing packages and that they will never admit it when they do. Then they said that they wouldn't ship it for at least another month.

Well 2 months later it finally arrived, and boy was I disappointed. This is clearly hand made. There were scrapes on the outside of the box from the drill slipping and they did a horrible job of cleaning up the hole for the fan. It was still rough with burs on it. That isn't the worst part. They use a regular computer fan which isn't designed to create a large enough pressure differential to push air through a tube. Computer fans are meant to blow air around a box, which doesn't require much pressure at all. In addition to this they misuse a PVC plumbing piece for a bulkhead to attach the tube to. Because of their design flaw of using the wrong type of fan, they try to compensate for this by using a large 1" tube to reduce the resistance. Well even with the large tube it still doesn't push more than a mouse farts worth of air through it. I have returned the unit for my money back.

Then I found coldtower on ebay. This guy uses a blower fan which is meant to create a pressure differential to push air through a restricted duct way like a small tube. His bulkhead and tube combo is very well thought out. The tube is only 3/8" so it easily fit into my tower along with the 3 beer lines I have. Coldtower also secures the fan and wiring with hot glue to prevent it from falling apart from vibrations. It also pushes a lot more air than the previous one. I installed it in my kegerator this morning and although everything is still cooling down to serving temps, the tower and faucets are noticeably cold to the touch. I haven't been able to pour any beer through it yet to see if it completely alleviates my previous foam problems, but so far the product is working as advertised.

Back