BEST Horror Movies (poll to follow)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
My two all time favorites are

ALIENS
EVIL DEAD 2

(amazingly both are sequels)

THE THING is right up there.

....I LOVE you guys!!!!;)

Seriously not a bad suggestion so far. Glad I waited before posting a poll.

Original Night of the Living Dead is owed at least an honorable mention. For the first Zombie movie ever, it knocks it out of the park. See it if you haven't.

The first zombie film ever was White Zombie in 1932. The second was its sequel Revolt of the Zombies.

I am a huge fan of the Excorsist, The Shining, Original Dawn of the Dead. I do have to say that the first few Saw movies are up there and also Hostel.

I can't believe Salems Lot hasn't been mentioned yet.

Varmintman, that movie scared the crap out of me when I was a kid as well.

Top favorite horror flicks are as follow.
John carpenters The Thing
John carpenters Halloween 1&2.
Let the right one in.
The exorcist
Night of the living dead
Hellraiser
Phantasm
Tales from the dark side
Creepshow
1st saw. The others sucked

Ok This is a difficult question
1. Exorcist, the original X rated Version was truly horrific and caused the hair on the back of my neck to stand up.
2. Night of The Living Dead
3. The Shinning
4. Wait Until Dark (Not exact horror but one very scary scene when you first saw it.

The first zombie film ever was White Zombie in 1932. The second was its sequel Revolt of the Zombies.

Damn! Thank you sir, may I have another?;) (I sincerely appreciate the education!)

I am a huge fan of the Excorsist, The Shining, Original Dawn of the Dead. I do have to say that the first few Saw movies are up there and also Hostel.

I can't believe Salems Lot hasn't been mentioned yet.

Varmintman, that movie scared the crap out of me when I was a kid as well.

Not quite there on SAW......Loved the Salem's Lot book, figured the movie sucked like SK's other movies (at that time)

Top favorite horror flicks are as follow.
John carpenters The Thing
John carpenters Halloween 1&2.
Let the right one in.
The exorcist
Night of the living dead
Hellraiser
Phantasm
Tales from the dark side
Creepshow
1st saw. The others sucked

Right with you.

Ok This is a difficult question
1. Exorcist, the original X rated Version was truly horrific and caused the hair on the back of my neck to stand up.
2. Night of The Living Dead
3. The Shinning
4. Wait Until Dark (Not exact horror but one very scary scene when you first saw it.

DU???!??!?!??1WHWTA?!?!??!?!Wfviophvwifhwivhwi?!?!?!??!?!original X-RATED VERSION?????!?!?!?!??!!

THIS THREAD IS WORTH IT'S WEIGHT IN CRACK ALREADY!!!!praise gawd.

Exorcist: I am sure that the film was rated X when I saw it. I know there were some scenes that were removed as I have seen the film more than once. I might have gone a watched a prerelease version as it was a long time ago (1973) and I saw it in a theater that did that kind of thing. The very graphic scenes would have been extremely objectionable to most people and were quite shocking to me at the time. I can still picture them. The scenes are still partially there but much less graphic and toned down.

If I remember correctly, it was one showing at 11 PM at the Innwood in Dallas.

That's it HBMan!

The Horde is awesome!

I passed it over because it relies more on gore, badassery, and solid special effects than on plot. It tries but does well to leave the plot broken and bleeding somewhere in the first scene.
While it is awesome, for a zombie flick it has to do more to be a best ever.

Come on yall, Freddie gets you while you sleep

NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET 1, 2, 3

The 1st was classic. The 2nd followed, the third...........was a departure, but no less classic. Best EVER?

The first one is in the running.

Poltergeist

One hell of a good movie, and some CLASSIC scenes (melting face, skeletons in pool, mom half naked rolling around the cieling;))

I am sure that it was due to my age but when I saw Jaws I slept at the foot of my parents bed and did not get in the bathtub for a week.

Predator
Paranormal Activity 1 + 2 (haven't seen the 3rd yet)
Exorcist

Paranormal Activity and the Exorcist makes my hair stand on end and gives me the "shivers"

Original Night of the Living Dead is owed at least an honorable mention. For the first Zombie movie ever, it knocks it out of the park. See it if you haven't.

I agree. It did a lot of good, what with all the social commentary and all, but I still feel Romero rounded out his craft with Dawn thereby surpassing the original.

They are going to get you Barbara!

I agree. It did a lot of good, what with all the social commentary and all, but I still feel Romero rounded out his craft with Dawn thereby surpassing the original.

They are going to get you Barbara!

DAMMIT! Now I have to re-watch Dawn again. The re-make SUCKED!!!!

DAMMIT! Now I have to re-watch Dawn again. The re-make SUCKED!!!!

I thought is was dead on (pun intended) as to the differences between the 80's culture and 00.

The characters in the Original had a story, and were breaking free from the consumer strangle hold that held them all to the mall. They were thought out and relevant to ideology of the time. You can find support for this in the development of the characters and the use of the media outlets to help define a religious fervor that was happening at the end of the world.

The 00 was a romp, void of any real story line and made no stabs at the mindless consumerism running rampant in our communities. In fact if anything it supported the idea that the mall has everything you need till you get tired of it, at which point you should go on a boat trip.

Although the ideas of islands as safe havens have been present in most of Romero's works, and through out human history, the push to the island was more about boredom than any real issue in defending the mall till they did something stupid. Also the interdependence of the characters in 00 was so stereotypical.

It stunted the idea of growth, especially in the female characters, who felt no need to break away from their comfort shell or emotional attachments while the guys made peace with their social mores and did what they wanted in a consumer paradise.

wow Tex........

You gave that some thought!

Although a little more cerebral than my general idea that the movie lacked plot, character development, and any sort of originality, I think we are on the same page.

wow Tex........

You gave that some thought!

Although a little more cerebral than my general idea that the movie lacked plot, character development, and any sort of originality, I think we are on the same page.

I have a tendency to over think things.

better than underthinking.......far better!

Very true.

Although it doesn't allow me to enjoy mindless explosions and needless violence, no matter how cool Jason Statham is while doing it.

House Of Wax??? Anyone....???? Anyone???

But honestly I really loved It (one of the first horror movies I'd ever seen, and that "everything floats down here" made me nearly wet myself (yes I'm that young)), Carnival of Souls, Nasfuratu, and Dawn of the Dead.

House Of Wax??? Anyone....???? Anyone???

But honestly I really loved It (one of the first horror movies I'd ever seen, and that "everything floats down here" made me nearly wet myself (yes I'm that young)), Carnival of Souls, Nasfuratu, and Dawn of the Dead.

EASY! easy!

Lol We will check it out! (or at least I will).

IT was poorly acted but made for TV, the book is insane.

Carnival of souls (check it out)

Nosfuratu - good point!

D ot D - on my list to see again.

The thing including the new one they just made which explains the start of the story.

And I'm a big fan of the paranormal activity trilogy.

I love horrors and find it really annoying when they ain't scary.

[REC] and [REC]2 . The original Spanish ones not the bull**** US remakes. Both of those movies blew my mind! 28 Weeks later is one of my favs as well

Back