Best hops to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sprangs

Reaction score
I've just built my new system, finally moving away from the extract brewing. Now, with my two 10 gallon water coolers ready, I'm searching for the right brew to create. I've decided that I'll be brewing an IPA. Nothing too wild, seeing it will be my first all grain batch, although I am looking to make it on the edge of uncomfortably bitter. However, I've now hit a hard decision to make: what hops to use?

Now, this question has two parts to it:
a) What brand should I use? And this is crucial, I feel. I have always used the leaf and pellet hops from Hop Union because that's what was available at my LHBS. Not bashing on my local store or anything, but I want to see what else there is to be offered. What's the freshest? Where are the closest hops that I can get? Maybe Hop Union is the best to use and I might just be looking to try something new, so suggestions would be sweet!

b) The second part of the question isn't that big of a deal to me at the moment. For me trying to make a melt-your-mouth IPA, what variety of hops should I utilize? There are SO MANY varieties, but I've only been brewing for two years now, without too much experience trying different ones out. So, as I said before, suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Looking forward to your input!

I like an IPA with Chinook, Centennial & Cascade. I'd get the freshest hops you can; this season's if possible. There may be some folks around your area that have some for sale. Check Craigslist or similar sources. Use about 5 - 6 times the weight of wet (i.e. green, fresh picked) hops that you would for dried.

You should use warrior, chinook, columbus, simcoe and amarillo. That will produce the only drinkable IPA.

/sarcasm.

Those are great hops that I listed. But I think the best bet is to figure out your favorite commercial IPAs and look at clone recipes. See what hops they use and how they use them and blend it together to get something unique.

Simcoe and citra come mind for a great ipa but you can't go wrong with the 3 C's. Hop union hops are great so long as your lhbs has a good turn around rate and are stored properly.

Use about 5 - 6 times the weight of wet (i.e. green, fresh picked) hops that you would for dried.

I've only ever used cascade (of the three you've mentioned) but would love to use chinook. Regarding the use of wet hops, is that pretty much a standard ration to use? I ask because one, I've never used wet hops, and two, I've just recently planted my own Columbus hop plants and something like this is good to know! But I never even thought of Craigslist or sites of that sort. Thank you!

Use about 5 - 6 times the weight of wet (i.e. green, fresh picked) hops that you would for dried.

I've only ever used cascade (of the three you've mentioned) but would love to use chinook. Regarding the use of wet hops, is that pretty much a standard ration to use? I ask because one, I've never used wet hops, and two, I've just recently planted my own Columbus hops and something like this is good to know! But I never even thought of Craigslist or sites of that sort. Thank you!

Based on moisture content I've heard that 5 or 6 to 1 is an appropriate ratio. Without lab testing for alpha acid content, which no backyard grower is likely to do, bittering potential is kind a crap shoot. You can guesstimate what you need by looking at typical AA ranges for the variety and asking the grower whether they know if their hops might run toward one extreme or the other. When I used wet hops I grew last year, I think mine (all Cascade) were near the lower end of the typical AA range, probably 4 - 5%.

You can always buy from any of the on-line or local commercial suppliers and be better informed on what to expect but where's the fun in that? :cross:

I've only ever used cascade (of the three you've mentioned) but would love to use chinook. Regarding the use of wet hops, is that pretty much a standard ration to use? I ask because one, I've never used wet hops, and two, I've just recently planted my own Columbus hops and something like this is good to know! But I never even thought of Craigslist or sites of that sort. Thank you!

One of the brewers at a brew pub I like does an IPA dry hopped with Columbus. It's pretty darn good. This one also has the other three varieties I'd mentioned. I haven't used Columbus myself but I might soon. He has another that's heavy on the Simcoe that he likes a lot more. It's good but not a daily drinker for my taste.

Those are great hops that I listed. But I think the best bet is to figure out your favorite commercial IPAs and look at clone recipes. See what hops they use and how they use them and blend it together to get something unique.

First off, sorry for the multiples. The app sorta messed that up and I'm unable to delete them. Anyways, I've made a few clones before, the first one being a clone of Dogfish Head 90min and it turned out great! So maybe I will follow that same recipe, maybe switching up the hops I'll use. That, or I'll find another I love and base it off of that. Maybe even a Two Hearted Ale clone. Hmmm...

Also, thanks for the advice on fresh hops and using the "3 C's." I'll definitely keep that in mind when I get closer to brew day.

One of the brewers at a brew pub I like does an IPA dry hopped with Columbus. It's pretty darn good. This one also has the other three varieties I'd mentioned. I haven't used Columbus myself but I might soon. He has another that's heavy on the Simcoe that he likes a lot more. It's good but not a daily drinker for my taste.

That's something else that I should look into. I had the wonderful opportunity a few weeks ago to hang out with some brewers as a local brewpub and help them out with whatever they needed. Afterwards, I got their contact information and they told me to contact them with any questions or interests. I'll try to shoot them a text for advice as well

Latest posts

Back