Best home brew magazine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charliesmith1979

Reaction score
So, fermenting second batch and got the recipe from a magazine at the home brew shop to clone Racer 5. However, given I'm currently doing extract brews, it was a little confusing. Anyone recommend a magazine for cloning with extract?
BTW, this forum has been so flipping helpful, so thanks in advance!

charliesmith1979 said:
So, fermenting second batch and got the recipe from a magazine at the home brew shop to clone Racer 5. However, given I'm currently doing extract brews, it was a little confusing. Anyone recommend a magazine for cloning with extract?
BTW, this forum has been so flipping helpful, so thanks in advance!

Not sure exactly what you're asking. Do you mean is there a magazine that gives extract recipes? BYO usually gives the recipe as all grain with a set of instructions on how to change it to extract or vice versa.

The HBS guy was helpful in giving me the measurements using extract, but the recipe measurements, as far as grains, were all for all-grain. 11 lbs of 2row somehow he calculated into only 1.5lbs with the extract. Does that make sense? Still a noob :)

The HBS guy was helpful in giving me the measurements using extract, but the recipe measurements, as far as grains, were all for all-grain. 11 lbs of 2row somehow he calculated into only 1.5lbs with the extract. Does that make sense? Still a noob :)

You mean he converted 11 lbs 2 row to 1.5 lb extract? That would be wrong - it should be about 8.25 lb LME or 6.6 lb DME. If you mean he gave you 1.5 lb 2 -row grain and added some extract to that (on the order of 6-7 lb) then he is giving you ingredients for a partial mash, as the 2-row requires mashing. There is a sticky on partial mash at the top of this forum, it's not much harder than plain steeping. Do you have the whole list of what he gave you?

chickypad said:
You mean he converted 11 lbs 2 row to 1.5 lb extract? That would be wrong - it should be about 8.25 lb LME or 6.6 lb DME. If you mean he gave you 1.5 lb 2 -row grain and added some extract to that (on the order of 6-7 lb) then he is giving you ingredients for a partial mash, as the 2-row requires mashing. There is a sticky on partial mash at the top of this forum, it's not much harder than plain steeping. Do you have the whole list of what he gave you?

It was about 7 lbs of LME with 1.5 of the 2 row shown in this recipe. I just steeped it when brewed which makes me kind of nervous....he didn't mention anything about partial mashing but I guess that gives me something to learn.

image-2293038701.jpg

Roughly 1 lb grain = .75 lb LME = .6 lb DME (makes a few assumptions on efficiency, potential of extracts, but it should be close enough). Sounds like your LHBS used the same calc: 9.5 lb 2 row x .75 = 7.1 lb LME.

What temp did you steep at? I wouldn't worry it will be fine, it's just that you might not have gotten a lot out of the wheat and 2-row without a mash. If you happened to steep in about 1-2 gallons of water in the 148-158 degree range, then you mashed!

chickypad said:
Roughly 1 lb grain = .75 lb LME = .6 lb DME (makes a few assumptions on efficiency, potential of extracts, but it should be close enough). Sounds like your LHBS used the same calc, 9.5 lb 2 row x .75 = 7.1 lb LME.

What temp did you steep at? I wouldn't worry it will be fine, it's just that you might not have gotten a lot out of the wheat and 2-row without a mash. If you happened to steep in about 1-2 gallons of water in the 148-158 degree range, then you mashed!

I steeped at 160 with 2.5 gallons per the second part of those instructions and kept it pretty darn steady with the second brew. I'm not too worried but that calculation will really help in determining the extract equation.

As far as magazines go...

Join the AHA (American Homebrewers Association) and you'll get Zymurgy free. BYO (Brew Your Own) is another excellent magazine.

Both of them provide recipes, and it's usually extract based with an all-grain option.

These are the only two I've subscribed to, I'm sure there are others out there that are good.

Latest posts

Back