Best Grain Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wduncan1983

Reaction score
I've been borrowing my friend's gain mill or having my grain milled before it's shipped. Now that I'm buying my grain in bulk I'm thinking of finally buying a mill for myself. Any recommendations?

I've heard good things about the JSP Maltmill.

My cheap corona mill works good enough for me. Was only like $25 bucks off of ebay and with a little tweaking I get just as good of results as I do with the 2-roller mill my LHBS has.

Based entirely on experiences of people I know, I believe you would be happy with a CrankandStein, Monster Mill, JSP MaltMill, or a Barley Crusher. While there are a lot of people with complaints about their Barley Crushers, I know a number of people who have been using theirs for years, trouble free.

I think this is an area where you can't go wrong. Contact the manufacturers and ask a few questions to get a feel for what their customer service (should you need it) is like.

I can't offer any comments on corona mills, though. I've only ever used roller mills.

Id get the Monster Mill 3. I currently have a barely crusher and it works fine but if it ever goes bad the MM3 is gonna be procured.

I had a nonadjustable JSP malt mill and it worked great for 5-10 gallon batches. When I went to bigger batches, I sold the JSP and bought a Monster Mill. They are both great mills. My current mill is a MM2-2.0 with the hopper and extension. Monster sells great mills and has outstanding customer service.

I have a Monster Mill 2.0 with stainless rollers and hopper extension. It's complete and utter overkill, but it's built like a tank and I shouldn't have to worry about buying another grain mill anytime soon. It seems like pretty much any roller mill will do the trick, though. I didn't have much luck with my corona mill, but maybe that's just me.

I use a MM 3 with the small rollers. I have a few thousand pounds through it, and it still mills/looks like new. I like this mill. It may outlive me.

I went with the JSP. Made in 'murica and lifetime warr. I got an adjustable one (doubt that was needed) and non-harded rollers. Also not needed and confirmed by the owner himself. he said he rebuilt a 15yo mill with non hardened rollers and it was starting to show signs of wear.

Simple/cheap but effective hopper. Winter plan is to make it motorized. Only thing I want currently is a chute to control dust some.

smugshot_1796829-XL.jpg

My cheap corona mill works good enough for me. Was only like $25 bucks off of ebay and with a little tweaking I get just as good of results as I do with the 2-roller mill my LHBS has.

After some research this is what I did and I'm happy with the result. Plus with the cash I saved, I was able to brew a few extra beers :mug:.

There are many threads on adjusting the corona mill allowing a drill to drive it. Just saw one that used jbweld and a screw replacing the the pin that holds one of the plates and a bolt to replace the handle. For the amount of grains I process, corona style was the mill for me.

I'm also using a corona mill, mounted in the bucket-in-bucket style with a 5gal water bottle hopper, run with a drill. I've been using it for years and get 80-90% eff.
No dust, and didn't have to do any adjustments.
For the price, what do you have to loose?

I'm also using a corona mill, mounted in the bucket-in-bucket style with a 5gal water bottle hopper, run with a drill. I've been using it for years and get 80-90% eff.
No dust, and didn't have to do any adjustments.
For the price, what do you have to loose?

This, anything else is a waste of money.

I just picked up a MM3. It is a tank. So far I like it a lot.

I had a BC for 3 years. It worked well until about 2 months ago. I sent it in for repairs and I'm waiting to get it back. It has a lifetime warranty. I'm probably going to sell it once it's fixed.

It crapped out right in the middle of crushing 100lbs of grain for an RIS. It was an unforgivable act. I'm shunning it now. :D

I used a corona mill for about 6 months before upgrading from the flour mill to a real grain mill...I do not at all regret doing so... For those using the corona mills you don't know what your missing and ignorance is bliss.... I bought a fairly cheap cereal killer and I am very satisfied. The cleanup alone was worth it. The corona mill works but it is very inconsistent and messy. Maybe I had a bad one? The workmanship left a lot to be desired as the one side had a bigger gap than the other. It is also very slow compared to a roller style grain mill.

I appreciate the info.... I don't mind spending 100-150 on a mill. I'm looking for a consistent crush and a something to get my efficiency up. I've been around 65-70% with any kits that I've got from NB or my LHBS. The Monster Mill sounds like the way to go.

Been happy with my adjustable JSP Maltmill for 8 years now. I adjusted my gap for my particular false bottom and process, and increased my efficiency as well.

Just curious what you have your gap set to? I know it gets tighter from one side to the other. In the middle I measure mine at ~0.039". I have always brewed alone or with friends that don't do this for a hobby so I have always wondered if I got a good crush or not. Seem to get 75% according to beer smith, so it must be pretty good.

Using a Barley Crusher myself. It does a good job and I've been getting quite consistent 81% efficiency with it. Few things I don't like about it: Second roller is not driven. Mostly not an issue but I've had a few times when I pull the trigger on the drill and the grain just sits there not dropping down. To fix that I simply take my long plastic brewing spoon and jam some grains down with the handle. After that it pulls. Not often that happens though. The next biggest thing is adjusting the gap perfectly even can be a little bit of a pain since there's no adjustment "stops". On the flip side that is good so you can make very precise or small adjustments, just adds a little extra time to changing the gap size. Lastly, I feel they could've made the mill more center balanced. When on top of a bucket there is a bit more lean weight to the side of the bucket which can make knocking it over easier. I just am very careful and haven't had any problems.

Been eying the Captain Crush lately but since my BC is working fine I think I'm just gonna wait.

Rev.

Just curious what you have your gap set to? I know it gets tighter from one side to the other. In the middle I measure mine at ~0.039". I have always brewed alone or with friends that don't do this for a hobby so I have always wondered if I got a good crush or not. Seem to get 75% according to beer smith, so it must be pretty good.

That's almost exactly my gap. I've never measured the middle since it's slightly angled, but it's .042 on one end and .038 on the other. I get 94-95% efficiency with my eHERMS and step mashing.

I've been borrowing my friend's gain mill or having my grain milled before it's shipped. Now that I'm buying my grain in bulk I'm thinking of finally buying a mill for myself. Any recommendations?

I've heard good things about the JSP Maltmill.

I'm very happy with my 3 roller Monster Mill.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Ive had a BC for over 2 years probably ran 450-500 pounds of grain through it and dont have any of the problems mentioned above and so far it shows no sign of problems. I set the gap once and check it once every other batch or so but it has never moved. regularly getting 82% with it

Bought one of the first MM3 2.0's. Have about a thousand pounds of grain through it at 0.039 and it is consistently a beautiful crush. Also consistently 85% mash efficiency. Built like a tank is absolutely accurate.

I used a corona mill for about 6 months before upgrading from the flour mill to a real grain mill...I do not at all regret doing so... For those using the corona mills you don't know what your missing and ignorance is bliss.... I bought a fairly cheap cereal killer and I am very satisfied. The cleanup alone was worth it. The corona mill works but it is very inconsistent and messy. Maybe I had a bad one? The workmanship left a lot to be desired as the one side had a bigger gap than the other. It is also very slow compared to a roller style grain mill.

I'm using a corona style mill. I also use my neighbors barley crusher when we have a double brew day. Found the efficiency is very similar. There are ways to correct issues with the varying gap size on these mills by straightening the grinding plates and locking it down with jbweld and a larger screw instead of the cotter pin that is already there. easy fix. Plus its fun to torture my nephew having him hand grind 15 lbs grains esp if carapils is involved.

Back