Best English Yeast for Fermenting Sugar Adjuncts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HowardMBeers

Reaction score
I'm planning an old ale with about a pound or more of Indian Palm sugar (Jaggery). Last time I fermented a high-gravity ale with sugar (turbinado) and WLP007 the results were way too estery and I ended up dumping the whole batch. Does anyone have a good suggestion for an English-style yeast to use when adding a significant amount of sugar adjuncts?

I've never heard of a yeast producing esters because of a high amount of simple sugar. Had you ever used WLP007 before? And what was the fermentation temperature? Excessive esters are usually produced by high fermentation temps or stressed yeast.

Nottingham and S-04 are pretty clean English yeast strains as long as you keep the temp in the low to mid 60s.

Thanks, Peter.

I've used WLP007 for Barley Wines and RIS's without issue before.
It was a meticulously temp controlled ferment with proper pitching rates and oxygen.

My best guess was that all the simple sugars stressed out the yeast somehow.

Thanks, Peter.

I've used WLP007 for Barley Wines and RIS's without issue before.
It was a meticulously temp controlled ferment with proper pitching rates and oxygen.

My best guess was that all the simple sugars stressed out the yeast somehow.

I have heard that just adding sugar by itself can be difficult for the yeast to ferment. So it may have been stressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I think I remember something about yeast eating the most simple sugars first then adapting to eating just those sugars. So it might make it more stressful to eat the normal wort sugars. That was my thinking, but I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Back