Best Burner for Natural Gas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrinkNoH2O

Reaction score
I'm building a new Brutus 10-esque system and would like to utilize NG - I can easily have it plumbed from my kitchen to the patio on the other side of the wall.

I'm planning on stepping up to some 15g/15g/20g Blichmann Boilermakers for 11g batches.

I searched and couldn't find a consensus - what the best burner/regulator combo for this NG setup?

Thanks,
Dave

"I searched and couldn't find a consensus - what the best burner/regulator combo for this NG setup?"

I too am searching for some feedback on this.

Anybody?

I've been researching this too, I think there are three basic options:

1. The Blichmann with the natural gas kit. Which seems like the easiest option.

2. You could replicate the Blichmann with a banjo burner, regulator and hoses for less money, especially if you're going to be mounting the burner in a rig and don't need the stand that comes with the Blichmann.

3. Use a jet burners that is meant for woks. Here's the best thread I found about the jet burner, and what's needed to supply it. These are less adjustable, but a lot cheaper. I see most throttle them with a ball valve, I don't know if you can use a regulator.

If you have a NG hookup for a grill and want the easiest plug and play solution, I think the Blichmann is the way to go. If you want to build it into a rig and save some money, you can use a banjo burner and NG regulator. If you want the most BTUs, and are willing to give up some adjustability, go with the jet burner.

Still in the materials aquisition phase, but I did snag 2 of these:

http://www.agrisupply.com/high-pressure-cast-iron-burner-100000-btus/p/64494/&sid=&eid=/

While the description reads for high pressure, you can either drill out the supplied orifice, or buy a low pressure one from Williams or Adventures in Hombrewing. Shipping was fast, but not real cheap, however, these things are massive, built like a BSH.

Thanks, this seems like the best route for me as I need to buy 3 without the stands and I'll be installing them in a larger stand/sculpture.

How much exactly was the shipping? The website wouldn't tell me even though I completed every form - just said "we'll send you a quote" or something like that.

If I drill out the oriface what else do I need to buy? Just hose and a ball valve, but no official regulator?

I think it was like $13 or maybe $18 for 2 to Ohio(probably $18). I plan on getting the NG orifice from Williams, in case I ever want to switch back to propane. If I was drilling out the supplied orifice, I'd do it on a lathe or at least a drill press, to prevent wobble. I am not planning on using a regulator as the one at my service line is set to 11" WC or there about-if I need to throttle back, I'll use the ball valve. I'm also planning on using flexible copper/flared fittings from the valve to the burner.

I think it was like $13 or maybe $18 for 2 to Ohio(probably $18). I plan on getting the NG orifice from Williams, in case I ever want to switch back to propane. If I was drilling out the supplied orifice, I'd do it on a lathe or at least a drill press, to prevent wobble. I am not planning on using a regulator as the one at my service line is set to 11" WC or there about-if I need to throttle back, I'll use the ball valve. I'm also planning on using flexible copper/flared fittings from the valve to the burner.

Cool, thanks. I found this NG orifice/ball valve combo, will probably pick up 3:

https://www.brewershardware.com/Valve-and-LPG-Orifice-for-BURN10.html

I'm building a new Brutus 10-esque system and would like to utilize NG - I can easily have it plumbed from my kitchen to the patio on the other side of the wall.

I'm planning on stepping up to some 15g/15g/20g Blichmann Boilermakers for 11g batches.

I searched and couldn't find a consensus - what the best burner/regulator combo for this NG setup?

Thanks,
Dave

Dave,

If you are looking for natural gas hoses and quick connects, visit our site or conact us. www.caloreequipment.com

We can get you a natural gas regulator and the hose, quick connects, etc. Chances are if you are using natural gas supplied at your house, you will not need a regulator.

Thanks,
Calore Equipment CSR

Back