Best Brewery Tour you've done

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know what it is (I was high) but the Heineken in Amsterdam at the brewery tasted amazing. I drank a lot of Heineken while there and it tastes SO much different than what we get here.

I'm guessing that bud light would have been amazing as well under those conditions! ✌

I don't know what it is (I was high) but the Heineken in Amsterdam at the brewery tasted amazing. I drank a lot of Heineken while there and it tastes SO much different than what we get here.

I'm guessing that bud light would have been amazing as well under those conditions! And the peanut butter!
Have you ever looked at your hand? No, I mean really looked at your hand? ✌

I'm guessing that bud light would have been amazing as well under those conditions! And the peanut butter!
Have you ever looked at your hand? No, I mean really looked at your hand?

Hands down.. Smithwicks in Kilkenny, Ireland.

Really neat tour, The people are friendly as can be, and the smokin hot tour girl helped as well lol.

Kona Brewing in Hawaii. Small groups, quick tour and then the group sits at a table outside at the pub and they bring pitchers of several beers and tell you about them as you taste them.
And you are in Hawaii ;-)
I was going to say that! Very fun and low key and very personal. Would do it again next time I am on the Big Island :ban:

I've been on 3...well, 2 and 1/2.

Yeungling...if you have a chance, DO THIS!!!! The history alone makes it worth the trip. "Here's the remains of the wall we knocked down after Prohibition to get to the lagering caves we hand-cut into the hillside..." You get the idea.

Southern Tier...kind of a brief tour when I did it but good all the same.

Sam Adams...this is the 1/2. SWMBO and I were on vacation in Boston and went over to the brewery but they weren't doing the full tour because of renovations. So most of it was just the tasting. <shucks, darn, rats>

One of these days I have to drive the hour south to go to Straub brewery and the hour and a little bit north to the Ellicottville Brewery.

Domestically I'd put New Holland in West Michigan up against any I've done in CA, PA, FL, CO, and MI.

I hate to name drop, but I was completely underwhelmed by Cigar City-- it truly was a waste of time. The guide was a ****** , not much info, and only got to taste one beer. This was last April. That said, their tasting room/bar and bartender were great though. My time would've been better hanging out there the whole time, vs. doing the tour!

Yuengling was cool because the brewery is so old. You get to see the old lagering caves, and Dick Yuengling himself hung out and talked to us for about 15 minutes.

If you ever get to Oporto in Portugal, I can't say more about the Port Wine Winery tours.

Start at the top of the hill (They're the oldest wineries) and work your way down the hill, by the bottom you will be toasted by all the Port Wine you've consumed!

Brewery tours, my favorite would have to be "Black Sheep Brewery", North Yorkshire, England. It is physically situated "next door" to Theakstons Brewery. Was intending to do the Theakstons tour but for some reason it wasn't being run the day I was there so stopped next door, seeing "Yorkshire Square" style ales being brewed real time was a treat and a half, pity at the time I wasn't truly able to get me a sample of the yeast, next time it will be different

Some friends and I have been making the rounds at the Atlanta area breweries. We've hit up Red Brick, Sweetwater, Red Hare, and Monday Night so far, and the best, hands down, has been Monday Night Brewing. The guy doing the tour was engaged. He knew what he was talking about, and he was up front about how much time and energy we could expect from him during the tour.

Sweetwater was different, but they'd just gotten their canning line upgraded, so the tour (and the brewing area) was dominated by that.

I haven't done many, and they haven't been exotic, but the best by far has been Chapman's Brewing in Angola Indiana. The brewer, Jerod, gave us a guided tour of the entire operation. He was very in depth about all of the equipment. He included stories about longer then normal brew days and equipment innovations that really made the tour great. He also took the time to answer any and all questions. Great time, and the taproom was a blast as well.

The Lagunitas tour was a blast. Lots of samples, funny stories about the start of the brewery and just all around good atmosphere.
30.gif
57.gif

I will add that the Lagunitas tour (in CA) was pretty awesome.

Our guide/story teller was awesome and she knew her stuff.

It helps that you are sitting in the original taproom. Reminds me of a frathouse turned bar. Here are some pics.

The panoramic one is hard to view. Sorry.

I liked New Glarus as it has a very nice bier garden and tour is self paced. Still wishing to make the hard hat tour soon.

I really like the Sprecher tour as it's free for me and it's short since it is a small brewery. Good for kids and non-drinkers sonce they get all the soda they can drink.

I did the Yuengling tour in Fl and it was worth the time but I'm sure it doesnt compare to the Pottsville brewery.

Brouwer ij Henri Maes in Bruges, Belgium. I didn't matter where I went in Belgium, I was offered fantastic beers (and candy) at every stop!

Agree 100%. I loved walking through the unused open air copper fermenter.

Self tour of Cantillon was also great.

Fantome. I showed up one day when they were closed, could hear stuff going on in the barn so I hung out patiently (I walked around banging on any door I could find, haha) Owner finally heard me, him and his wife were bottling, let me hang out and help them out, drank all kinds of cool stuff. They didn't speak much English at all but it was a hell of an experience anyway.

Brouwer ij Henri Maes in Bruges, Belgium. I didn't matter where I went in Belgium, I was offered fantastic beers (and candy) at every stop!

Agree 100%. I loved walking through the unused open air copper fermenter.

Self tour of Cantillon was also great.

Agree 100%. It was really cool being able to walk on an old copper open air fermentor.

Cantillon's self tour was really cool as well.

With small breweries popping up like weeds it seems here in Dallas/Ft Worth, you can't throw a rock on any Saturday without hitting a brewery tour.

Rahr Brewing in Fort Worth is one of the older breweries in the area and do 2 tours a week. The Saturday tour gets PACKED but they've expanded the area so space isn't too much of an issue. They usually have a band playing, food trucks set up in the back lot and plenty of port-a-potties!

I've had quite a few brews on the loading dock at Rahr.

But the best was the Weinheim Brauerie in Weinheim Germany.

Have one done a few but bar hopping in western Virginia (not West Virginia) was so much fun. Views were amazing. Beer is fantastic and there's 4 breweries within a few miles plus cider and wine. Only problem is lodging in the area sucks and you really need a DD on the narrow winding roads.

Georgetown brewing in seattle is the best ive done, not the biggest most interesting brewery in the world but the people that work there make it a great time

Lauder Ales in Ft Lauderdale, even though it wasn't exactly a tour. The whole brewery is visible from the bar, and the brewer was right there. He was just starting the boil, and showed me his bittering hops. It was very cool. The beers were good too.

Back