Best brew for deep fried turkey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanHeroy

Reaction score
Hi all,

So I'm going to deep fry a turkey for turkey day this year. Which means that appropriately paired beer needs to go into the fermenter soon. What are some suggestions from folks? I figure I'll make two different ones, so bring on as many as you can think of. Posting a favorite recipe would also be great.

Cheers,
Cort

I think something with a measured amount of acidity/citrus and good solid malt flavor would be good. The acid/citrus to cut the fat from the turkey, and the malt to echo the sweet crispy golden skin. Not too bitter IMO. I think sessionable is also a factor to take into consideration on Thanksgiving, too. It's a marathon, not a race. What kind of beer that gives you, I'm not sure. If it were me, I'd go with a slightly hoppy pale ale with citrusy aroma/dry hops, and a nice nut brown ale.

Samhain pumpkin ale - goes all to well with turkey.

As for a second choice... I would try a cranberry Belgian or wheat. With as little time you have I vote for the wheat...

How about this recipe.

First. Procure a pair of new panty hose, if on a budget, used is OK, too.

3 - 5 boxes of Stove Top Stuffing or Lemon and Herb Chicken Helper.
10 lbs of some kind of grain that ferments or canned malt syrup
One or three cans of crushed cranberry sauce
A handful of poultry seasoning
one apple or pumpkin pie and crust, use both pies, if using XXXL panty hose
A few handfuls of hops. Preferably, hops that go good with fried turkey
A couple of handfuls of liquid or dry yeast. Bread, Champagne, or Ale, is OK
A couple of spackling buckets of water

Using the Enhanced BIAB method. Stuff the first five ingredients into the panty hose. Steep for an hour or so at 145-160 F to ensure conversion, if using grain. After conversion, remove the panty hose and squeeze the day lights out of it, to extract all the yummy goodness and sludge. If using canned syrup, add it to the steeping water, after the panty hose is squeezed. Pour the mixture through a high tech filter, made from paint strainers. If paint strainers aren't available. Use one leg or back side of the panty hose, as a strainer. Dump the mixture into a turkey roaster and boil, tossing in the hops at the beginning. Cool it down and dump into the spackling bucket. Toss in the yeast. (If a Christmas brew is desired, add pine cones from a white pine and Holiday scented potpourri.) Ferment for 10 days, drink it young. Remove the squished ingredients from the panty hose, add a quart of molassas, a pint of dark rum, mix and bake. Can be used as a dessert or for making flavored swizzle sticks.

I always inject my turkeys with jalepeno Creole marinade, and pair it with an IPA. Though lately I've been thinking of injecting it with wild turkey and pairing with an Oaked bourbon stout.

The style of beer would really depend on what type of marinade you inject into the turkey before putting it in the fryer, If you use a buttery creole marinade, something with a tad of hop "bite" may work well.

glenn514:mug:

Back