Best Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouisianaVince

Reaction score
NOTE: I've been searching for a thread like this, and I haven't found it. If it already exists, I'd be just as happy with a link to the previous thread as I would with actual replies. Why duplicate the effort, right?

So, here's the question. I figure while I'm saving up for brewing supplies, I may as well be saving up bottles, too. Which commercial beers have the best bottles? I know I need bottes that do not use twist off caps. I like Sam Adams Boston Lager (and others from that brewery), so that's a start. But is there a best choice for bottles? Does anyone just buy new bottles? How is this done?

Thanks!

Im building up a collection of Sam Adams, Pete's Wicked, & a few other's. Hopefully they will work :)

I sadly decided to throw away a dozen Bass Ale bottles I'd saved after reading that thread that Walker-san just referred to.

The labels on Sam Adams are pretty easy to remove. The ones on Breckinridge Breweries bottles are more troublesome. Most of the Spaten bottles, and the Fuller's bottles are easy.

beer4breakfast said:
I sadly decided to throw away a dozen Bass Ale bottles I'd saved after reading that thread that Walker-san just referred to.

I say try them out (or at least ONE bottle) and see what you think. I've got a ton of bottles (ok, not really, but I have a lot), so I am starting to be picky about which ones I use and which ones I don't. Just grab an empty and cap it and see what you think.

I *really* like the 12oz Sammy Smith bottles. They're brown, unlike the larger SS bottles, and I like the long straight shape. I've only got a few of them at the moment.

But is there a best choice for bottles?

Empty returnables . . . $1.20 for a case of 24 + some cleaning time. If you find a store that sells beer in the old school returnables in the heavy cardboard case you are golden. Color doesnt matter unless you plan on storing your beer out in the open in direct sunlight for extended periods of time. If you are like most of us you'll keep your beer either in your fridge or put away someplace like a basement or closet

Currently I have about 340 bottles or about 14 cases worth. Some clear, some brown and never got a skunky homebrew yet. Spent a grand total of about $17

I don't think the old-style returnable longnecks have been in general use in Texas for about 20 years. Are they still being used in Wisconsin?

They were a really nice, very dark brown heavy glass bottle, that make the current crop of longneck-style disposable bottles look flimsy by comparison. I well remember bringing my case of empties back to the grocery store every week, and I also remember having a couple cases of them in the heavy cardboard boxes sitting around in my garage for several years after they were no longer available in the stores. I'm sure I tossed them years ago.

beer4breakfast said:
I don't think the old-style returnable longnecks have been in general use in Texas for about 20 years. Are they still being used in Wisconsin?

Old Style, Point, Pabst, Blatz, Miller, Lienie . . . thats just off the top of my head and the different bottles I have. All pretty identicle to the Old Style Bottle except the Miller ones are normally clear. If I wanted I could buy them by the truckload over at Discount Liquor.

I should have said refillable, instead of returnable. There's a difference.

All refillable bottles are returnable (and usually carry a deposit), but not all returnable bottles are refillable (yet may still have a deposit in some states to encourage return for recycling and to reduce litter). The refillable bottles were made to be refilled by a bottler many times, whereas the modern longnecks are designed for single use. That doesn't mean they can't be refilled by a home brewer, but they aren't made to the higher standards required by the refillable bottling industry. I didn't think there was a refillable bottle industry in the US anymore.

Well anyway, that's great that you can get such high-quality bottles. I doubt you'll see a refillable type longneck here in Texas, unless maybe some bars use them.. All the longnecks sold here (that I've seen in the past 20 years) are the light-weight disposable bottles intended for single use.

Walker-san said:
I say try them out (or at least ONE bottle) and see what you think. I've got a ton of bottles (ok, not really, but I have a lot), so I am starting to be picky about which ones I use and which ones I don't. Just grab an empty and cap it and see what you think.

I *really* like the 12oz Sammy Smith bottles. They're brown, unlike the larger SS bottles, and I like the long straight shape. I've only got a few of them at the moment.

I also like the Sam Smiths bottles but I prefer the pint sized ones. FYI, the Sam Smith's Lager comes in a nice brown pint bottle. ;)

Dogfish Head labels came right off. I mean without anything other then soaking in hot water for two hours. Just slid off the bottles.

If you are buying one of the starter kits with the two handled capper in it, you will want to use the bottles that have the larger lip around the top or it. Just look at Sam Adams bottle and then buy any other brand of beer that has a similiar lip (Sam Adams, Smithwicks, Florida Brewery, Corona are a few examples). I found that with the 2 handed capper, the bottles with the smaller, thin lips at the neck to be next to impossible to cap.

As far as removing labels, I found 2 scoops of OxiClean in 5 gals of water will get any label off, including the foil labels/cap covers.

Back