Best beers to try?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SchillingBrewing

Reaction score
I'm compiling a list of beers that I need to try and I guess there are a lot of beers out there that people talk about a lot but I don't know much about because I live in a small town with limited availability to craft beers outside my area. I'm looking to build the list for a few beer swaps I'm doing.

So my question is what beers are definitely worth trying? I'm talking about beers all over the nation. I don't have an affinity for a certain style, I like all beer styles. I am just curious what everyone else thinks I should include on my list and why. Maybe give a little info on the beer(s) you suggest so I can have a little background. I want to try some great beers that are noteworthy.

I have a small list at the moment but I want to expand it.

Alright...go!!!

:mug:

jumpin' on the bandwagon to see what other people think!

It has been <1yr since I started the good beer kick... I don't trust my own taste buds yet.

There's a new Stone Best By coming out soon, I'd try to snag a bottle (I think it's Best By 4/20).
And I'll suggest Mission Brewery's Dark Seas RIS, may be my favorite RIS (and a local brewery).

Innis and gunn!!!! they are only sold by the bottle, they are small batch and ussualy oak cask aged. The cheapest here is 3.99$ for 1 beer and up to 10$ for a single beer in box ( special edition )...... I have been treating my self one now and then for years. They are by far the best beer I have had, and i'm sure I have tried over 100 beers in the last 10 years. I actually now by flats of single tall cans just to try. When i was in Europe i bought about 30 beers alone to try.

I also love Bannana bread beer, they come in 500ml bottles. But innis and gunn is the king to me of ALL beers.

Oh, and i had to add rail ale nut brown by howe sound in squamish british columbia...... Good! I have a bottle atm im saving for saint pattys! they come in 1 L flip tops ( i save the bottles )

Stones best by is incredible if you like IPAs. I love it. Had the 2/14. Is there any chance Stones pick of valentines day and national get high day as the first 2 best bus this year. Stones regular IPA is a must have as well.

I would also say try:

Ayinger Celebrator Dobblebock
Rogues Dead Guy Ale
Bells Best Brown Ale - it really is the best brown ale
New Belgium Hoppy Bock Lager - basically a Black IP(L)
Oddside Ales Citra Pale Ale
Atwaters Vanilla Java Porter
New Hollands Hatter series (Black Hatter, Rye Hatter, Farmouse Hater, Michigan Hatter, Oak Aged Hatter)
New Hollands Ichabod
Well's Banana Bread Ale

Mostly Michigan craft brew and a few national/foreign imports. These are all must try's if I was to suggest beers to someone.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Including the butt light suggestion. I will definitely look into some reviews of these. Keep them coming though!

I live about 45 min away from the New Belgium brewery so I frequent there a lot. And I've had many rogue beers and a few Ayinger beers as well. Definitely good ones to have.

Dogfish Head is one of my favorite breweries even though I've only had Midas Touch. I look up to Sam and his crew and I love all their interesting and experimental brews.

The Dogfish Head 60 min. is definitely a VERY tasty beer...but I have been very disappointed with their 90 min IPA. It is very thick, and lacks the hop-blast of the 60 min. It reminds me more of a barleywine.

The Dogfish Head 60 min. is definitely a VERY tasty beer...but I have been very disappointed with their 90 min IPA. It is very thick, and lacks the hop-blast of the 60 min. It reminds me more of a barleywine.

You sure as hell won't like the 120 then!!

As for beers to try, Lambics changed my life!

Would the OP care to let us know roughly where he/she lives? Knowing what part of the country (if even in the US) might make a big difference in suggestions. How readily you can get your hands on a recommendation from somewhere like Russian River, New Glarus, or Three Floyds depends greatly on your location.

I might suggest FFF's Zombie Dust, for example...but how much of a white whale that turns out to be is directly proportional to your distance from Chicago.

Edited: Nevermind. The iphone app doesn't show locations next to names like the web forums do. I only saw Wyoming after the fact.

I'd say Two Hearted Ale, Zombie Dust, Heady Topper, Southern Tier 2X milk stout, Terrapin Mosaic (anything Terrapin really), and many more.

Oh! Flanders Red Ale! It'll be your new favorite beer that tastes NOTHING like "beer." It'll make u want to be a better person. Haha!

I have been trying a few new beers every week for over a year now. ( Thanks to a great place, Beers of The World, Rochester, NY.) They have singles from all over the world, and I put together a 6 pack, every week or two, of beers I have never had.

I am partial to American Pale Ales. One that keeps me coming back is Saranac Pale Ale. It's definitely one of my favorites. I also like Old Golden Hen, an English Pale Ale.

I have been trying a few new beers every week for over a year now. ( Thanks to a great place, Beers of The World, Rochester, NY.) They have singles from all over the world, and I put together a 6 pack, every week or two, of beers I have never had.

I am partial to American Pale Ales. One that keeps me coming back is Saranac Pale Ale. It's definitely one of my favorites. I also like Old Golden Hen, an English Pale Ale.

Old Speckled Hen and Old Crafty Hen (a higher alcohol version of the former), are also very toasty and tasty!

Uinta makes a great black ipa called Dubhe. Also, Boulder beers are great- boulder porter, mojo, and especially mojo risin'.

+2 on anything Terrapin but a Gawga beer might be hard to find out in cowboy country. If you like Hefe' s try Kellerweisen by Sierra Nevada.

Someone said Westvleteren 12, which I'm sure is great and all but unless your are planning a trip to europe or feel like paying near $100 for a bottle you wont be able to actually try it. St. Bernardus Abt 12 is related and will only cost a few dollars for a bottle. It is based on the recipe for Westvleteren 12 and I think its a fantastic beer and one of the best representations of the style available in the US. Speaking of belgians, Goose Island has Matilda and Pere Jacques which are good beers that you should be able to find.

I also haven't found a beer from Great Lakes Brewing that I didn't like

I have wanted to try them for so long!!! I thought they weren't sold in the US though...

I wouldn't buy more than one in the US. What I had was a complete banana bomb. Couldn't taste anything else.

Other than that, Avery Maharaj, Deschutes Black Butte, Hop Rod Rye by Bear Republic, and Left Hand Milk Stout.

Would the OP care to let us know roughly where he/she lives? Knowing what part of the country (if even in the US) might make a big difference in suggestions. How readily you can get your hands on a recommendation from somewhere like Russian River, New Glarus, or Three Floyds depends greatly on your location.

I might suggest FFF's Zombie Dust, for example...but how much of a white whale that turns out to be is directly proportional to your distance from Chicago.

Edited: Nevermind. The iphone app doesn't show locations next to names like the web forums do. I only saw Wyoming after the fact.

Yup, going to college in Laramie, WY. I can get a decent number of beers from Colorado and a few from Montana but that is about it for variety.

You sure as hell won't like the 120 then!!

As for beers to try, Lambics changed my life!

There are a few Lambics available at my locoal liquor store but nothing too special. I have had a few Lindemans Lambics (Apple, Peche, Framboise, Kriek).

:mug:

Oh! Flanders Red Ale! It'll be your new favorite beer that tastes NOTHING like "beer." It'll make u want to be a better person. Haha!

I've had one Flanders Red which was Green Flash's Flanders Drive. Not half bad. Had great flavor. But that is all I've tried in that category.

I wish I had a place like that around here. The world's largest liquor store, DaveCo, is just outside Denver, CO but every time I've been there they've been pretty short on their selection of craft brews. The beer only covers two walls where hard liquor and wine cover the entire interior of the store. Much more selection of hard liquors and wines.

Uinta makes a great black ipa called Dubhe. Also, Boulder beers are great- boulder porter, mojo, and especially mojo risin'.

I only live 2 hours from Boulder and I've never had a beer from there. I'm going to have to try some soon.

+2 on anything Terrapin but a Gawga beer might be hard to find out in cowboy country. If you like Hefe' s try Kellerweisen by Sierra Nevada.

Fortunately I can find Sierra Nevada here in Wyoming. I do enjoy the Kellerweisen and many others. Ruthless Rye has been gracing my fridge for a while now. I will look into Gawga. Thanks!

Here is their web site!
http://www.mybeersoftheworld.com/

Check it out. The store is huge. It was an old supermarket, and now the whole thing is all beer. They should have named it "Heaven"! :mug: lol There are beers from all over the world. They have a section for every country of origin.

That is really awesome! I don't see why a store like that couldn't prosper around Colorado. Maybe they will get something like that someday.

If you're ever in British Columbia, try Fat Tug IPA by Driftwood Brewing (or anything else they make, for that matter).

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout, Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Nut Brown Ale, and Taddy Porter.

North Coast Brewing's Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

I wouldn't buy more than one in the US. What I had was a complete banana bomb. Couldn't taste anything else.

Other than that, Avery Maharaj, Deschutes Black Butte, Hop Rod Rye by Bear Republic, and Left Hand Milk Stout.

You remember the color of the label? The red and blue are my favorite. Purple or green were abit overpowering scotch taste.

Great divide makes some great beers (Titan IPA, Yeti anything) and they are out of Denver. Stone makes some great beers as well, pretty sure that guy is a genius. I will second the Rasputian Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast. I have one more in the fridge. Ballast Point Sculpin IPA. Georgetown Brewery in Astoria, OR makes some good beers. My wife loves Rogue Hazelnut Brown. Just about anything from Deschutes. I think you mentioned Sierra Nevada. I just tried the rye torpedo. Tasty. Good luck, soooooo many great beers. I like the beers Full Sail puts out too, not mind blowing but consistently good IMO.

Definitely some good ones. My list is growing nicely. Please feel free to share more. I'm hoping for a list that covers a lot of geographical regions in the US so that I can have a good chance if getting some good beer trades.

Back