Best Beer Book?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dye4me

Reaction score
In an effort to grow our local beer club to more the two members, I made the decision to get everyone on my christmas list a copy of How to Brew. I have also added a cheese making and and a kombucha/soda/cider book to my order as well, because what is christmas without a gift or two for yourself? Before I hit checkout I just wanted to see what brewing or related publications other users here would count as an essential read?

Not necessarily for newbies, but Designing Great Beers is essential if you're moving to all grain and making your own recipes, I think.

I think a lot of people would say "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing" or "Brewing Classic Styles" but I haven't read either of those.

Also depends on what styles you like and want to brew. I have a copy of "Brew Like a Monk" and it's been a good read so far. Get that one if you love Belgian beer

Graham wheeler - Brew your own British Real Ale is a good starter. Quite brief on the 3 brewing methods but enough information to get you started and lots of great recipes in the back to brew up.

Edit - not the best but a great book, use it a lot to dip for recipe ideas

Not necessarily for newbies, but Designing Great Beers is essential if you're moving to all grain and making your own recipes, I think.

I second this. Even if you're not doing all grain, if you want to make your own recipes this book is very useful. I have dozens of brew books, but this has been the most useful one for me for 15 or 20 years (and counting).

Brewing Classic Styles is a great book if only for the reference, definitely a book I've used a lot. Brewing Better Beer is another good choice. The Brewing Elements series (Water, Yeast, Hops, Malt) are great but a little more advanced.

Mastering Home brewing by Randy Mosher walks you through every why and what-for about brewing in a concise way with tons of charts and pictures. If trying to get a handle on everything.

Designing Great Beers is more useful as one progress beyond that point though.

61nVXA2a4UL._SX415_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Brewing Classic Styles is a great book if only for the reference, definitely a book I've used a lot. Brewing Better Beer is another good choice. The Brewing Elements series (Water, Yeast, Hops, Malt) are great but a little more advanced.

Another vote for Brewing Classic Styles

How to Brew fit my sort of technical brain.

How of Homebrewing was a little too hippy dippy but is great for those who like less technical info.

Designing Great Beers is amazing for anyone who wants to move on from somebody else's recipes.

Brewing Classic styles is good but most of the critical info from it is in DGB.

Radical Brewing was interesting but I like a more traditional, to style approach.

Call me old school, but for a first book it is hard to beat the complete joy, I still pull mine out and read it almost 20 years after buying it.

Back