Best automated ph sensor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeverDie

Reaction score
Ideally I'd like to keep tabs on the brew Ph level in close to real time so as to signal possible unexpected infection, etc. Are there any that are safe to have in constant contact with the brew without polluting it?

As long as you keep them hydrated, long term exposure shouldn’t be an issue. That said, I don’t know the benefit of real time fermentation pH measurement. I don’t think infection checking is a good purpose (proper sanitation will always mitigate infection), UNLESS you are doing sours and want to know where along the way the purposeful infection is.

For sensor models, most all can be integrated into an automated system, but with pH sensors, you get what you pay for.

As long as you keep them hydrated, long term exposure shouldn’t be an issue. That said, I don’t know the benefit of real time fermentation pH measurement. I don’t think infection checking is a good purpose (proper sanitation will always mitigate infection), UNLESS you are doing sours and want to know where along the way the purposeful infection is.

For sensor models, most all can be integrated into an automated system, but with pH sensors, you get what you pay for.

I'm currently brewing a beer sour that was suggested to me by rph_guy: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/...ng-the-must-at-95f.660651/page-3#post-8497915
So, yes, it would be nice if I could plot the change in PH as the sour progresses from start to finish without having to use a wine thief to extract sampes.

This one is cheaper:

https://www.atlas-scientific.com/product_pages/probes/industrial_ph_probe.html

Does anyone have any opinions about this product? I saw this a long time back and was thinking about using it on an aquarium setup. The specifications look good to me.
It does require a breakout board (which they sell) and the PDF says not to 'boil' or 'freeze' it.
I wouldn't be expecting to use this on the boil side of the brewery though myself.

Back