Berliner Wiesse yeast options

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zev

Reaction score
I want to brew a berlinner soon. the only problem is, after reading so much about how many different ways there is to do it, im sorta tailspun and not sure which route to go.
in my fridge i have a couple yeast options. but they are all past their best by dates:
1 vial of white labs berlinner blend WLP630 (best before oct 6 2012)

2 vials of white labs brett brux trois WLP644 (best before dec 18, 2012)

1 vial of euro ale yeast WLP011 (best before jan 5th 2013)

any suggestions?

i mite be waaay off, but I was thinking:
pitch the berlinner blend from vial(no starter), wait five days while building starter with euro ale yeast, then add that on fifth day of primary.
then add the 2 vials of brett trois into secondary after making a starter for 7 days.

Make a starter from the WLP630 and pitch that. Why would you want to use the others if you want to make a berliner?

If you make a starter with the WLP630 it will get the sacch going and dominate the lacto once you pitch it in the Berliner. If you want your Berliner to be tart you need to let the lacto get a head start for a few days then pitch the sacch.

I'd pitch the WLP630 and then the euro ale yeast like you said. You probably only need 1 vial of the brett, but since they are so old you can pitch both to get rid of them.

If you make a starter with the WLP630 it will get the sacch going and dominate the lacto once you pitch it in the Berliner. If you want your Berliner to be tart you need to let the lacto get a head start for a few days then pitch the sacch.

I'd pitch the WLP630 and then the euro ale yeast like you said. You probably only need 1 vial of the brett, but since they are so old you can pitch both to get rid of them.

:mug:

I'm pretty sure the berliner blend has a regular ale yeast in it. You should be able to pitch just that and have it work.

I'm planning to try one in a few weeks. I'm planning to use a homemade lactic starter, then pitch yeast a few days later. I'm going to try a packet of T-58

Watch this Video! Lots of info from Wyeast about making Berliner Weisse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back