Berliner Weisse Attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GatorBeer

Reaction score
I'm looking for some feedback or critique of a berliner weisse recipe I've designed. I've done a bit of research and it seems like everyone has a different opinion on how to sour.

For a 3 gallon batch, I'm going to first mash as normal with:

2 lb pilsner malt
1.75 lb wheat malt

After mashing for an hour, I'm going to sparge, let it cool to ~110F, transfer it to a bucket, throw a handfull of grain in, close it up and try my best to keep it as close to 110F as possible.

After a few days, depending on how funky it gets i'm going to do a 15 minute boil, add 0.25oz hallertau hops and ferment it with a kolsch yeast. (If i pitch a full vial in a 3 gallon batch, will it matter?)

BeerSmith is giving me a 3.1% alcohol and 3.1 SRM.

Does this sound like it'll work or does anyone have an alternative method?

I used some raw wheat in mine to give it a nice mouth feel, but its really all preference. I also pitched White Labs Lacto at 100 and wrapped the carboy up for 2 days and then pitched Euro Ale yeas.

There's a Basic Brewing Radio podcast on Berliner Weisse that had the mad fermentationist as a guest, I would recommend listening to it, they go into some different methods. Also, raw wheat would not be used in a Berliner Weisse, at least not in Germany, Reinheitsgebot! :mug:

Back