Berliner Weiss... infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonnybunch

Reaction score
So I brewed my first Berliner Weiss yesterday, mash hopped, 15 minute boil then cooled to 100 and pitched my homemade lacto starter.

The starter had an extreme lacto smell and a white bubbly pellicle. Before I went to bed I checked the carboy and there was a nice scummy surface beginning to form on top of the beer.

Eagerly I went to check again this morning, expecting to find a repeat of the pellicle from the starter - but.... no. Instead I discovered a beautiful puffy white kreusen, a vigorous fermentation in effect and what can only be described as 'normal' smells coming out of the carboy.

What's going on here, any ideas? Have I somehow 'infected' my sour with Saccharomyces? Should I wait for fermentation to finish and try to re administer lacto or will it still go on working in there after the sacc has done it's thing? What sort of beer should I expect?

Cheers

You most lickly had sachh in your homemade starter.
How did you make it? Crushed grains in warm water?

Raise temp to 85-90 and try tasting it in a week and see if your mouth starts to pucker or you get a faint lemon acidity.
If the temp was low the sachh would have gotten a jump on the lacto and killed them off.

Unfortuently at this point if you know its 100% sachh ferment you can cold crash and rack off the yeast cake to stall the ferment and allow more sugars for the lacto to eat when you repitch

I think you are experiencing a normal Lactobacillus fermentation. Does it look like my BW in this video (skip to 3:55)?

[ame]http://youtu.be/fPEOTkAiwAo?t=3m56s[/ame]

I didn't make a starter and pitched directly from the vial. This fermentation is definitely not a Saccharomyces fermentation.

Latest posts

Back