Berliner Gravity Not Moving???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoritzasu

Reaction score
All,

Last week I started a berliner weisse using the hybrid sour mash. I began a lacto starter with grains, let it sour for a few days, then pitched. I did a 60/40 pils/wheat grain bill and mashed at 149 to collect 3 gallons of 1.030 wort. After pitching the lacto starter I let it sour the wort for two days (nice krausen, wort pH went from 5.4 to 3.7). I then pitched a 800 mL starter of WLP645 and gave it a shot of O2 for 20 secs.

The first two days there was active fermentation (72 degrees, gas bubbles visible in wort, wort moving around like crazy, air lock bubbling away). After three days it slowed tremendously and I took a gravity reading of 1.012. I then moved the carboy to my fridge set at 80 degrees to finish off. Last night (5 days @ 80 degrees) I checked my gravity reading and it read 1.012. It hasn't moved a single point in the five days after my last reading.

The taste is definitely sour, but not particularly sweet at all. I'm aiming for a gravity of 1.004. I have some washed Brett L. yeast from a previous batch that I was thinking of pitching to try and dry out the beer. Is this something to consider, or is this berliner stuck at 1.012? Any suggestions would help. Thanks in advance.

Almost the exact thing happened to me..... I threw some brett in, which helped, but it only knocked the SG down a couple of points. If it's not sweet, and has the sour profile you want, I'd bottle it as is.

Sounds like a Brett stall to me. I'd wait it out. Brett can take a while to finish. I put Brett Claus in a saison that was 1.008. It went to 1.006 then stay there for a month or so. I let it sit 3 months and it fell to 1.000. Give that Brett time. It's working in a low PH environment and will have to have some time to eat. It will get there with time.

Santé!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back