Benefits to 24, 48, 72, 7 days abstaining from alcohol?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cannman

Beer Theorist
Reaction score
I drink daily but I do not get drunk daily (I thought about how to say this, this conveyed it the best). I probably drink 3 glasses of homebrew a day throughout the day, more on brew day, one glass on work days (I work 3 days a week, 12 hour shifts). If there are friends, there is no telling what goes down (once a month).

Because of this behavior, I'm wondering what a regular break from alcohol will do for someone like me who drinks regularly.

I don't drink to get drunk any more (I left those days behind), I drink because I love beer, the way its made, and the different characteristics of beer.

I'm really looking for health benefits to this "cleanse" because I want to be able to keep drinking with minimal health consequences. My triglycerides are already on the rise but not out of control, but it does have me concern for the long term.

What is a good plan to follow? 1 day? 3 days? I hear a 30 day absence would probably be best but I don't think I can do this right now (Lots to brew, Oktoberfest on the brink, might jones too hard?).

Thanks for looking out for a fellow member.

-Cannman

There are a lot of other factors. Like age and health, that would determine the level of benefit.

If you're wondering, then there is no reason why you shouldn't try it. I took 30 day absence this year and realized my gut pains weren't from drinking, but rather back pain from sleeping too long on the weekends, and now I enjoy drinking even more knowing this.

I abstain for 5 days every month. I do feel significantly better after a couple days. Don't know the health benefit, just feel better.
FWIW, I do this just to prove to myself that I can. So far, no jonesing! I'm 57 YO.
I pretty much drink the same volumes as OP. 1-2 per day, maybe 3 on weekends.

As another anecdote, I have spoken with friends who are nurses, and one a MD, and they suggest short, regular periods of abstinence. Even a day off from daily drinking, once a week. A few countries' national drinking guidelines suggest the same.

Back