Bench Bottle Capper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CodeSection

Reaction score
image.jpeg
When I first started bottling, I had help with someone holding the bottle while I used a hand bottle capper. For the last few brews, and due to conflicting work schedules, I have been capping by myself. I got an empty Kirkland peanut plastic jar and inserted foam to create somewhat like a vice to hold the bottle steady. While crude, it has worked flawlessly.

Since I'm bottling 104-106 bottles each brew, I am wondering if a bench bottling press would be faster. I have read other threads on bench presses but could not find any real recommendation on an all steel constructin model. I want to get an all steel model as I know it will last my lifetime and other generations. Over 30 years ago I bought a Dillon Precision 550 reloading press that works today just as it did when I first bought it. I want the same quality in a bench bottle capper.

What do you recommend? Is Grifo's unit shown on MoreBeer (https://www.morebeer.com/products/deluxe-bench-bottle-capper.html) a good model? My hand clapper fits 26.5mm bottles. I read on some threads, sometimes the caps get stuck on some bench bottle cappers. So, will I see that happen since I am going from 26.5mm to 26mm?

Lastly, I am planning on using it on my serving bar. Therefore, I would be installing thick rubber feet that is typically used on glass tops on the bottom of the unit or I may just place it on my rubber spill mat.

Here's a funny thing: when I started brewing I wasn't a fan of the wing-style bottle cappers. I managed to crack a few bottle necks, etc.

So I bought a Super Agata bench capper, thinking it would solve my problems. Well, guess what? It's no faster, and lately, when bottling a number of beers off my kegs, I have gone back to the wing capper.

I see you have this arrangement to hold the bottle while you cap it. That leads me to wonder if either the capper isn't adequate, or your method of using it could use improvement.

Just a thought. The Super Agata works fine; maybe I'd use it more if my setup allowed for it to be right next to the taps.

....I see you have this arrangement to hold the bottle while you cap it. That leads me to wonder if either the capper isn't adequate, or your method of using it could use improvement....

Wow <smack forehead>, I never had tried using the hand "wing" capper without someone holding the bottle or putting the bottle in the contraption I made! I always thought the bottle needed to somehow be held in place to prevent it from slipping! I learned something new today! Thank you!

I have read positive posts on the Super Agata. I was just wanting to stay away from plastic parts. Maybe it is just me, but an all steel or possible aluminum housing seems like it would last longer and I would not have to worry about plastic parts splitting.

I started with a wing capper and got skittish after breaking a couple bottle necks. Then tried a super agata bench capper which worked well at first, but then found I just couldn’t get a cap to go on securely. So I recently bought one from Williams Brewing
https://www.williamsbrewing.com/Chrome-Commercial-Capper-P3901.aspx

and love it so far. Very solid, easy to use, and no doubt caps are on completely. Pricey I know but I mostly bottle and so took the plunge.

I used a Red Baron plastic wing capper for years. No one holding the bottles. The secret is to pull up on the inside of the handles with your index finger while pushing down with the heal of your hand on the outer end of the handles. That takes some pressure off the end of the handles. It also steadies the bottles a little.

I bottled probably close to 2,500 bottles with it - broke NONE! I bought the Agata bench capper to make sure that I had a spare. I use it all the time now but I have the wing capper as backup.

I don't know about the metal ones, but make sure it has no cast parts. Those break as easily as plastic.

Used the red wing capper for 12 years. Finally bought a vintage bench top capper on eBay for $30. Wish I had bought it 10 years ago. So much better, faster, easier.
1558187294955.jpeg

I do use the grifco capper that morebeer sells. It is a wonderful device, easy to use, and is built to last. I never minded the wing capper, but when mine broke i decided to go all in.

I bottle 300 bottles in one day with a winged capper... alone. I don't understand how and why you would need anyone to hold the bottles during the process.

But yes, a bench capper would make things easier, but not faster. You do not lose time capping bottles, but filling them properly, and hopefully, without allowing too much oxygen going in.

But yes, a bench capper would make things easier, but not faster.

Have to respectfully disagree. After having used the wing capper for years, my bottling routine is definitely faster with the benchtop version. Less fiddling around with the bottle/cap/capper assembly. Bottle in, cap on, pull the handle. Faster because it's easier.

I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

I started with a wing capper and got skittish after breaking a couple bottle necks. Then tried a super agata bench capper which worked well at first, but then found I just couldn’t get a cap to go on securely. So I recently bought one from Williams Brewing
https://www.williamsbrewing.com/Chrome-Commercial-Capper-P3901.aspx

and love it so far. Very solid, easy to use, and no doubt caps are on completely. Pricey I know but I mostly bottle and so took the plunge.

I read that some people had difficulty with keeping it in position and would encounter slippage on the vertical chrome piece. Have you experienced this? Does the adjustment bar tighten all round the chrome pole or does it just work like a regular screw tighten method where the bolt just pinches the pole?

I will say I have not ever broken a bottle using the wing capper. I just thought stablizing the bottle would be desired.

My process: fill 5-6 bottles, put bottle in my "holder", dip cap in Star San, put cap on top of bottle, grab wing capper and cap, put down wing capper and repeat the process. It seems to me that a bench capper would be easier and a little faster since I was not always picking up and putting down like I'm doing with the wing capper.

I don't bottle much anymore but when I do I use this guy
https://www.amazon.com/Bottle-Cappe...256Q31YKW4Z&psc=1&refRID=7NAMVA9YJ256Q31YKW4Z

It is awesome. A little finicky on adjusting height but doesn't lose height like the more expensive chrome one is said to do. I think it is the same capping mechanism and has the large bell for those European caps.

Could you go into detail about the finicky part? I'm planning mostly using 12 oz long necks and sometimes bombers.

I do use the grifco capper that morebeer sells. It is a wonderful device, easy to use, and is built to last. I never minded the wing capper, but when mine broke i decided to go all in.

Did you find yours to be finicky or hard to adjust?

Did you find yours to be finicky or hard to adjust?[/QUOTE]

No, i find it very easy to change the height for different bottles. I also think it is slightly faster than using a 2 handlecapper, as i dont have to pick up the capoer every time. I just set it on the base and pull the lever.

Have to respectfully disagree. After having used the wing capper for years, my bottling routine is definitely faster with the benchtop version. Less fiddling around with the bottle/cap/capper assembly. Bottle in, cap on, pull the handle. Faster because it's easier.

I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

I too, find the bench capper faster. But I fill all the bottles and put a cap on top, then I put one in pull the lever - repeat (about 50 - 54 times......

Thank you to all for your posts!

I ended up taking advantage of MoreBeer's $25 off $150 purchases that expires today. Essentially, I saved 16.67% with buying the Deluxe Bench Bottle Capper (https://www.morebeer.com/products/deluxe-bench-bottle-capper.html) along with various caps. If I am not satisfied with it, at least I can return it under MoreBeer's "60 Day No Hassle Return Policy".

Thanks again....

Could you go into detail about the finicky part? I'm planning mostly using 12 oz long necks and sometimes bombers.

There are holes on the fixed post and the sliding part that need to be lined up. I think three holes on the post and five or six on the sliding part. I can't remember the exact details (never can) but switching from bombers to 12oz long necks may mean something like hole 2 on the post and hole 3 on the moving part changing to hole 1 on the post and hole 4 on the moving part. These are just examples I am making up. You need to move it, lock it down, then test it and maybe adjust if you don't like the fit. I've never had a bottle it would not fit within two or three tries but it is a bit more guesswork I guess than the chrome post model which appears to be infinitely adjustable and easy to see where you are. However with the matching holes once locked in you are rock solid and no issues with the slipping mentioned by the chrome post version users. I try to limit the variety of bottles I will use because of this. Do all my bombers then switch to 12 oz and only do talls or stubbies.

Tonight I was able to try out the new bench capper. I positioned the top sliding head hole to the middle post hole. At that position it was slightly less than an inch above a 12 oz longneck. While I only tried capping a few bottles, it felt easier and faster to cap them as opposed to using a wing capper.

Perhaps I'm seeing things, but it looks like the bench capper slightly caps tighter than the wing capper. Could this be because the wing capper is 26.5mm whereas the bench capper is 26mm? I guess I could use my digital caliper I use for reloading to confirm if there is a difference.

There is one difference in the caps after I use them. With a wing capper, after capping there is a "dimple" in the center of the cap. There is no dimple in the cap after capping when using the bench capper. Is that normal?

Used the red wing capper for 12 years. Finally bought a vintage bench top capper on eBay for $30. Wish I had bought it 10 years ago. So much better, faster, easier.View attachment 627202
what brand is it if you can tell ,and is the cup magnetized?
I still use my Red Baron wing capper. its all in the wrists. no broken bottles .

Tonight I was able to try out the new bench capper. I positioned the top sliding head hole to the middle post hole. At that position it was slightly less than an inch above a 12 oz longneck. While I only tried capping a few bottles, it felt easier and faster to cap them as opposed to using a wing capper.

Perhaps I'm seeing things, but it looks like the bench capper slightly caps tighter than the wing capper. Could this be because the wing capper is 26.5mm whereas the bench capper is 26mm? I guess I could use my digital caliper I use for reloading to confirm if there is a difference.

There is one difference in the caps after I use them. With a wing capper, after capping there is a "dimple" in the center of the cap. There is no dimple in the cap after capping when using the bench capper. Is that normal?

Cappers and the bells in particular are not precision made. The dimple with the wing capper is from the post in the middle that holds the magnet to hold the cap in place. I almost wish it wasn't there, but never attempted to remove it. Yours is lower in the bell than most. Mine sometimes makes just a very tiny dimple. The same is true of the bench capper making the cap tighter - the bells are just not so precisely made. As long as the caps don't leak it doesn't really matter.

I've used my red baron wing capper with every brew I've made. Never once made a dimple. The reason why the dimple is there is because people are trying to press the capper down too hard first instead of using wrist action until the wings are just past the point of being level. It's not as difficult as most people think.
If you're attempting to muscle the cap on , most likely you're doing it wrong.

Temperature controlled fermentation...

I've used my red baron wing capper with every brew I've made. Never once made a dimple. The reason why the dimple is there is because people are trying to press the capper down too hard first instead of using wrist action until the wings are just past the point of being level. It's not as difficult as most people think.
If you're attempting to muscle the cap on , most likely you're doing it wrong.

I used the Red Baron for years, easy.. I occasionally got a slight dimple, I think sometimes the center post holding the magnet is lower in some cappers and those will dimple more.

My last batch of caps seem to be a lot harder to crimp than all the previous purchases - thicker metal??? Can't wait to use all those and see if the next batch is easier...

I used the Red Baron for years, easy.. I occasionally got a slight dimple, I think sometimes the center post holding the magnet is lower in some cappers and those will dimple more.

My last batch of caps seem to be a lot harder to crimp than all the previous purchases - thicker metal??? Can't wait to use all those and see if the next batch is easier...

its possible. I've had a few bottles that seemed to not want to cap right the first time,those I turn the bottle 90 degrees and reset the cap again. Never had one leak . I have no idea if it was the cap or the bottle itself. I save enough so I dont spend much time trying to figure it out. I sanitize about a 6 pack more than I think I need for instances like that. I just grab another bottle and keep going.
As for the dimple again, that magnet is separate from the bell , so all it does is hold the cap in place as you work the wings then it slides back out of the way. If your first move is to push the capper down ,it will cause a dimple every time and probably the reason why guys break bottles. If you gently place the capper on top of the bottle ,cap on the magnet post, and work the wings just enough to engage the metal neck "grabbers" then just use wrist action to complete it to a slightly past horizontal position, its really an easy movement and not as strenuous as it seems it should be.

its possible. I've had a few bottles that seemed to not want to cap right the first time,those I turn the bottle 90 degrees and reset the cap again. Never had one leak . I have no idea if it was the cap or the bottle itself. I save enough so I dont spend much time trying to figure it out. I sanitize about a 6 pack more than I think I need for instances like that. I just grab another bottle and keep going.
As for the dimple again, that magnet is separate from the bell , so all it does is hold the cap in place as you work the wings then it slides back out of the way. If your first move is to push the capper down ,it will cause a dimple every time and probably the reason why guys break bottles. If you gently place the capper on top of the bottle ,cap on the magnet post, and work the wings just enough to engage the metal neck "grabbers" then just use wrist action to complete it to a slightly past horizontal position, its really an easy movement and not as strenuous as it seems it should be.

This last batch of caps... ALL of them are tougher to crimp than previously?!?!? Turning the bottle doesn't do anything, nor using a different bottle.

After 7 years 11 months learned something.. I never looked at the Red Baron capper while moving the handles. The post with the magnet does raise out of the top of the bell when crimping the cap. But maybe on some the post and magnet are just a little long and cause a dimple. Or those that just lean on the handles are putting excess pressure causing the dimple.

These things are plastic and I would assume that some might have weaker handles than others causing the breakage. I bottled for a long time and the worry of breaking my Red Baron was always at the back of my mind. As the thing is getting older and plastic does degrade, along with threads of half way through bottling when one breaks my worry increased and that led me to get a bench capper so that I had a back up if either broke.

where did that batch of caps come from? I'm assuming you bought from the same company youve bought from previously. It is possible they changed vendors .
Yes, I keep the "its still just plastic" in the back of my mind too. The more I look and search for a different one or bench capper (cant find one with the magnetic cap holder), its the simplicity and consistent cappings that will lead me to just buy another red baron for back-up.

Has anyone had a chance to use the new Anvil Bench Capper? I just ordered it earlier this week and it will be here Friday. Won't have a chance to use it until next week when my Citra Session should be ready to bottle.

where did that batch of caps come from? I'm assuming you bought from the same company youve bought from previously. It is possible they changed vendors .
Yes, I keep the "its still just plastic" in the back of my mind too. The more I look and search for a different one or bench capper (cant find one with the magnetic cap holder), its the simplicity and consistent cappings that will lead me to just buy another red baron for back-up.

I believe they were from Farmhouse Brewing Supply. That was the first time I bought there. They are oxygen absorbing caps, I have used them before and don't remember them being any different than other caps. I have a bag of seconds caps, don't remember the source but they had decent reviews and were really cheap. I thing 300. We'll see....

Consider a bench capper, I am sold since I got mine. But I need to set up my kegerator that was in storage for 1 1/2 years.....

I keg now, so it doesn't see much use anymore, but I have this rack & pinion bench capper. All metal construction, and no having to adjust it up and down for different size bottles. I highly recommend it. I got mine from williamsbrewing.com for $70, but it doesn't look like they have it anymore.

I95.JPG

Edit: The little bell part that caps the bottle unscrews and comes off, and I'm pretty sure there was a corker attachment available for it.

Last edited:
I was able to use the new Anvil Bench Capper last night with some 16oz bottles (a few different heights) and it worked really well. It was my first tile using a bench capper and the height adjustment was easy to move and get set. I also like that it is able to fold up a bit to reduce the space it takes up during storage.

Latest posts

Back