Belper Knolle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shelly_belly

Someday After A While
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I finally got some cheese started. I chose this recipe. https://cheesemaking.com/collections/recipes/products/belper-knolle-recipe It was actually very easy to make.

upload_2018-8-18_9-51-10.jpeg

Success! I found a couple of spots on my other balls. I removed them with a q-tip and salt solution. I was even able to blend the coating back over the spots from the surrounding area. When I made them I probably didn't dry them off as well as I should have.

Success! I found a couple of spots on my other balls. I removed them with a q-tip and salt solution. I was even able to blend the coating back over the spots from the surrounding area. When I made them I probably didn't dry them off as well as I should have.

I have been watching this thread closely. Because it looks like something I want to try. But honestly I don’t ever want to have to post “I found a couple of spots on my other balls”!

Ignoring that comment, why is there mold growing on your cheese? Is the environment too humid? I would have thought the coating would have stopped mold? I forget, but was it not crushed pepper and salt, or was it just pepper?

PS. I don’t actually know anything about making cheese. I’ve only made Paneer a bunch for Indian food. I’m only an expert because I have been studying cheese making for three weeks!! Lol. But question was serious, from a newbie perspective.

I have been watching this thread closely. Because it looks like something I want to try. But honestly I don’t ever want to have to post “I found a couple of spots on my other balls”!

Ignoring that comment, why is there mold growing on your cheese? Is the environment too humid? I would have thought the coating would have stopped mold? I forget, but was it not crushed pepper and salt, or was it just pepper?

Mold on cheese is pretty common. I keep a mason jar with a mixture of vinegar and salt, and containing a wad of cheesecloth, in my cheese cave just for touchups in case there's a spot of mold. It's not really a concern at all though. Once the rind dries out, the mold really can't do any harm. It adds some nice color for sure. But for a lot of cheeses, you don't want that look. In the last few weeks I've made a jarlsberg, a (2nd) romano, 2 edams, and a double milled cheddar, and I don't want any of them to have green skin. But my blues I leave to nature :)

Shelly, I'm curious. How long did you let these dry before putting them in the cave? Recipe just says to dry till you get a nice dry firm crust that is lighter in color.

I only left these out (at room temp) for about 30 minutes before putting them away. I didn't use a fan either. I thought I had used too much culture or ripened too long as the curds seemed kind of dry to start with. In the beginning I would open the container daily and wipe out the moisture but it had been a week or so since I had done that.

I’m really curious how this cheese turns out. It is apparently sold both young and old. Reads almost like a Parmesan when it’s old. I’m intrigued and want to make it.

Back