American IPA Bell's Two Hearted Ale Clone (close as they come)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed this today.

10lbs 2row
2lbs vienna
2lbs carapils

1oz 60 min
1 oz 45 min
.5 oz 30 min
1 oz 15 min
1 oz 5 min
.5 oz 1 min

Used a yeast cake of bells yeast from an oberon clone. The fermenter blew up after just 6 hours WOW.

Mashed at 150F and my og was 1.062.

Idk what my efficiency is because I don't have acces to beer smith.

2 POUNDS of Carapils?!?!? Holy crap, that's gonna be a hell of a chewy beer

A friend suggested that this may be too big of a beer for a first time AG batch. Said that the mash efficiencies are harder with higher OG beers.

Should I just save this one for later.. it looks so good!

A friend suggested that this may be too big of a beer for a first time AG batch. Said that the mash efficiencies are harder with higher OG beers.

This is fine for a first time AG. And the Crystal 15 would be close enough.

I know the yeast has changed. I don't have any access to Bell's here in Canada, my 2 options that I have on hand are US-05 or S-04. I could get some Notty if need be, but would rather us what I have. I'm leaning towards the US-05 as I like a dryer finish.

I know the yeast has changed. I don't have any access to Bell's here in Canada, my 2 options that I have on hand are US-05 or S-04. I could get some Notty if need be, but would rather us what I have. I'm leaning towards the US-05 as I like a dryer finish.

I did US-05 with this. My feeling is it wasn't "quite right", although it could have been something else, like the Pale Ale Malt(darker, more english-like) that I used. I think 1272/051 liquid yeast is what some are saying is the right sub for the cultured Bell's yeast, and is what I'm going to try on the next batch.

Edit - looking back through the thread, one poster thinks US-05 (or WLP001) is closer to the original, while others are going for a more "balanced" flavor and/or adjusting to their own preferences. Alot of variations tried. But what do I know? Never had Bell's.:D

Use 05 as your yeast it should work fine. On my last 5 gallons I doubled up on the dry hopping and it was excellent. Not a perfect clone, but as fine a beer if not better IMO.

Is there a good, proven partial mash recipe for this? I've searched the thread but there aren't any that have had updates on how they turned out and there are too many pages to read through. I do plan on trying to culture the yeast from Two-Hearted bottles though, so something that takes that into account would be awesome. Sorry if this has been answered a thousand times, I just couldn't find anything with such a broad return of results with the search.

This was my first AG beer and other than getting a pretty low efficiency it turned out to be my best brew to date. Got amazing clarity too, way off on the OG but what's important is that I LOVE IT and it was a blast.

here's a pic:
ry%3D480

btw, I used 1056 because I had it on hand and I would definitely double the dry hops next time. A fine beer though.

2 hearted draft is $2/pint happy hr every day at Lattitudes in Marquette...

9lbs of lme, a lb of crystal 20 or 40L and 5 oz of centennial works good for me, will try some carapils next batch and I'm going to grab a 6pak today and try to culture some yeast.... too much fun.

.5 to 1 oz

yeah, eschatz should change that to 2 or 3 oz in the original recipe post, IMO. Having used 3, I don't think even a whole ounce would be hoppy enough at all.

On the brewing network show about dry-hopping, Tasty McDole recommends a minimum of 2 oz for dry-hopping 5gal of any hoppy American ale.

I'm going to grab a 6pak today and try to culture some yeast.... too much fun.
Two-hearted is not the best for culturing Bell's yeast. The high alcohol content will cause a high percentage of weakened and/or mutated yeast cells. Since Bell's uses the same yeast strain for all their ales, it's best to use yeast from one of their ~5% beers. You want the freshest, most recently bottled [low abv] Bell's ale you can find (except the Winter White). Use the dregs of 3 bottles (or 2 if you have access to fresh Oberon-I'm pretty sure it has the most yeast per bottle of any of their beers). I also look up batch numbers to check the bottling date before I buy when I want to culture yeast.

see here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/anybody-confirmed-what-yeast-bells-brewery-uses-147408/ and https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/bells-yeast-strain-179843/ for more info

Everyone who loves hoppy beers should buy the Hop Lovers Guide from BYO. There is great info and a ton of great recipes. Here is the recipe for TH.

Two Hearted BYO Recipe
OG=1.058, FG-1.012
IBU=56 SRM=8 ABV=5.9%

9.0lbs 5oz 2-row pale malt
2.0lbs Vienna malt
0.5lbs crystal (10 L)
0.33lbs Carapils malt (6 L)

5.5 AAU Centennial 60
5.5 AAU Centennial 45
5.5 AAU Centennial 30
5.5 AAU Centennial 15
.33oz Centennial (0 min)
.33oz Centennial (dry hop)

Wyeast 1272 or WLP051 or yeast cultured from bottle of TH

Mash at 152 for 60
Boil for 75
Ferment at 70
Dry hop for three days in secondary

I am using this exact profile and will looking forward to the results.

Just saying thanks for the recipe. I made this with a few changes. Changed out the Crystal 20 for Crystal 40, the hops to a combination of Fuggles and Cascade, and used S-05 from a previous batch Yeast cake reharvested and washed. Came out a touch bigger because I changed my sparge technique and got 90% eff. where I had been getting ~78 before, but it worked out well. SWMBO tried it and said she really likes it, and she hates IPA's.

Is there a good, proven partial mash recipe for this? I've searched the thread but there aren't any that have had updates on how they turned out and there are too many pages to read through. I do plan on trying to culture the yeast from Two-Hearted bottles though, so something that takes that into account would be awesome. Sorry if this has been answered a thousand times, I just couldn't find anything with such a broad return of results with the search.

The Bell's website states they only use centennial hops for 2 Hearted. They get 7% alc. with an og of 1.64.

I have just cultured the dregs from 3 bottles of 2 Hearted and after just 3 days they are taking off big time, I was surprised as hell. I just started with a small amount of very weak dme wort and some distilled water early Monday morning, today there was a solid coat of yeast covering the bottom of my 1L flask so I added about 6 oz of heavier wort and have some nutrient on order. I don't have a stir plate, just shake the flask a few times a day.

A real good boil is 9lbs of Northern Brewer Gold LME, 1 lb of crushed Briess 40L steeped at 150 for 20 min. Hop 1oz 60 min, 1oz 25 min 2oz 5 min 1 oz dry. OG is 1.064, Safale 05 w/starter is ok, give it 6 weeks. Probably won't get 7% brew but maybe the critters in my flask will help things along next batch.

Brewing this basic recipe today. But I don't have Vienna, so I'm doing without.

11 lbs 2-Row (Golden Promise)
1 lb. Crystal 20L
.5 lb. Carapils

1.5 ounce Centennial 60
1 ounce Centennial 10
1 ounce Centennial 5
1 ounce Centennial 0
1 ounce Centennial Dry Hop

Got 2 packs of S-05 in the fridge to ferment with. Wanted to used harvested yeast, but I got a late start collecting, and after 2 days and the dregs of 3 bottles (2 brown ale and 1 2 hearted) it's still not doing anything noticeable. I think any clean American yeast will be close enough for now.

After reading 35 pages of posts, I still have a few ?'s. I tried to ask the OP but his mailbox is full and not accepting new messages. Any help would be appreciated!
Alot of folks have adjusted things but have not commented on how their adjustments turned out. In particular,
1) Has anyone tried to decrease the 60min to 0.75 and add that extra 0.25 at 45min to avoid "soapy" flavor? how'd it turn out?
2) What is your consensus on yeast? Notty? 05? 1 pack or 2? Liquid yeast?
thanks for your input...

I have not kegged mine yet but will let you know how it turns out. I used liquid yeast with a big starter but you could use Notty but IMO it would be a different beer.

After reading 35 pages of posts, I still have a few ?'s. I tried to ask the OP but his mailbox is full and not accepting new messages. Any help would be appreciated!
Alot of folks have adjusted things but have not commented on how their adjustments turned out. In particular,
1) Has anyone tried to decrease the 60min to 0.75 and add that extra 0.25 at 45min to avoid "soapy" flavor? how'd it turn out?
2) What is your consensus on yeast? Notty? 05? 1 pack or 2? Liquid yeast?
thanks for your input...[/QUOTE]

Monday at deer camp we celebrated the first buck with a 6-pak of 2 Hearted bottles and 2 1L bottles of the Northern Brewer "3 Hearted" which is the ingredients I listed above but using Wyeast 1056 liquid yeast. The complete instructions and ingredients are on the NB website. The batch was made per sheet instructions.

I had managed to hang on to the 1L bottles for just over 4 weeks and they popped open with a nice carbonation level. In the glass next to Bells, the clone was darker so my next batch will use 20L grain instead of the 40L in the NB recipe. As far as taste it was almost impossible to tell them apart except the clone seemed to be a bit smoother than Bells, maybe due to less alcohol, didn't take any hydrometer readings on that clone batch.

Yesterday I used the yeast I got from some Bells bottles to mix up an oberon clone.... I will use that yeast on my next batch of "3 Hearted".... I have 15 gal in the queue now so I'll have a few weeks to grow more yeast.

I did A recipe Very similar to this one and used burton ale yeast.....Big mistake, all I can say is I hope time will cure this one. Not so tasty.

05 tastes great and attenuated fine. Just pitched dry. Can't wait for this one to carb up a little more as it is my best ipa to date

Finally tasted my version after 3 days of carbonation and all I can say is wow. My OG and FG were right on but I have yet to dry hop. I brewed 7.5 gallons and wanted to try the beer dry hopped and not dry hopped. I will buy a 6 pack of the real deal and report back soon.

Okay, I'm a newby to brewing (about 2 years now). How do you culture yeast from a beer you like? The two hearted for example in this thread.

Thanks

Try this link:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/gtsear...x=0&sa.y=0&siteurl=www.homebrewtalk.com/#1224

If you do a search on this site, there is lots of info on that. In the case of two hearted, try growing the yeast from the bell's pale ale instead. It is not as hoppy and therefore the yeast might be in better shape and more willing to replicate for you. Good luck and welcome to the site!

The hops aren't the problem with the yeast in Two Hearted. The problem is the alcohol content stresses the yeast. Anyway, Good luck and welcome to the site!

OK, been two weeks in primary, checked the FG and it's 1.012, OG was 1.064. Seems good, so I'm ready to dry hop it.

Hydro sample tasted awesome.

The hops aren't the problem with the yeast in Two Hearted. The problem is the alcohol content stresses the yeast. Anyway, Good luck and welcome to the site!

yup, which, at only 4.0% abv, makes Oarsman the ideal beer to culture Bell's house yeast from, IMO. Use the freshest bottles you can find when doing so.

Also, to newbs (and I really wish the OP would change this in his original recipe post), I would not use less than 3 oz. per 5 gallons when dry-hopping this. I used 3 and, while it was my best homebrew to date, I still wished I'd have used 4 oz.

I agree with the OP this beer gets better with age. My beer is 14 weeks old and it has gotten better with age. I will be brewing this again once the weather changes here in MN.

Quick dry-hopping question. I threw the hops in on Dec 24th, and was planning on bottling after 7 days. Turns out I will be away for 10 days, any danger of the extra 3 days dry hopping? I've heard rumors about vegetative qualities from extended dry-hopping.

Fired this up yesterday as my first all grain batch. I forgot to take a starting gravity (again), but here's to hoping it comes out half as good as the original. At least it was fun. Based on some of the feedback I'm going to dry hop with 1.5oz, but reading some of these more recent posts it looks like I could have gone with more...

Also, my calculator (BeerAlchemy) says this clocks in at 33 IBU (using Tinseth calculation). I would have guessed Two Hearted would come out higher on that.

Edit: Ah, well the fact that I used the wrong hops explains it. I accidentally ordered Cascade, not Centennial. Oops. Oh well, I'll just have to do it again!

Fired this up yesterday as my first all grain batch. I forgot to take a starting gravity (again), but here's to hoping it comes out half as good as the original. At least it was fun. Based on some of the feedback I'm going to dry hop with 1.5oz, but reading some of these more recent posts it looks like I could have gone with more...

Since you are just starting in all grain, you should not only take starting gravity, but gravity of first runnings, second runnings, pre and post boil gravities. Then you'll have the info needed to get your process down. (My apologies for the diversion - more info should be in the all-grain section)

If you dry hop in a keg, 1.5 oz. will be plenty. At 3-4 weeks in the keg, the aroma will be outstanding! But for regualr dry hopping, I think more is needed....

Back