Double IPA Bell's Hoplsam Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gobrew

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US-05
Yeast Starter
none
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
8 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
5 days, 68 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 days, 68 degrees
Tasting Notes
Great Hopslam Ale clone
I have been referencing HomeBrewTalk as a non-user for years, and finally decided to register an account. My Hopslam clone is the first recipe I am sharing here. I used information provided by Bells which was very helpful and then made some logical guesses to fill in the gaps. Bells specified the Amarillo, Simcoe, honey, 8 SRM and 65-70 IBU. They publish 1.087 OG and 1.012 FG. The remainder of the hop schedule is some guesswork, but the result is a beer that is nearly dead on for Bell's Hopslam Ale. You have to have them side by side to notice the difference and then it is subtle. This is a favorite for me and also with friends who frequently request it.

Boil Size: 7.30 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.76 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 6.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.084 SG
Estimated Color: 7.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 64.9 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %

14 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Fuggles [5.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min
1.00 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.70 %] - Boil 60.0 min
1.00 oz Centennial [8.70 %] - Boil 25.0 min
1.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.80 %] - Boil 10.0 min
1.00 oz Citra [14.10 %] - Boil 7.0 min
1.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.80 %] - Boil 1.0 min
2 lbs 8.0 oz Honey (1.0 SRM) at flameout
2.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)
3.00 oz Simcoe [12.70 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days

Mash at 152 degrees for 60 minutes and then sparge at 168. I pitch the US-05 directly on the cool wort and dry hop in primary fermentation. Enjoy!

One interesting thing to notice is the Citra. A friend of mine who is a Hopslam fanatic but not a brewer was at my house while I was brewing this clone. When I added the Citra, he said "Now it smells like Hopslam!" I agreed. However, I have since seen feedback from Bells that specifically says they do not use Citra for Hopslam, and that Hopslam was created before Citra was developed. That said, I continue to use Citra in this recipe, because it is less similar to Hopslam when I omit it.

I know, way old post But! I tried this recipe out, it is VERY close to the hopslam. I used wlp090 super san diego which for some reason only brought it down to 1.016 from 1.087 I also used orange blossom honey and sub`d c20 for the 40...(my brews all seem to come out darker than planned) so taste is about spot on, only thing missing is that Bell`s specific malt flavor that their yeast strand trends to leave in all their beers.
Mouthfeel is dead on, nice and slick, slightly syrupy, nice floral tropical hop bite, creamy pillow head that laces well (9.5%) no alcohol to note in the taste either but a few sips tells you this is a big DIPA

Thanks for the recipe, I have tried to clone this brew for 3 years now and gave up on it, this inspires me to try and perfect it (get that malt flavor in it) and maybe fin it (mines a bit murky but still only 2 days old)

:mug:

Last edited:
I just see fellow MI Brewers and wanted to say greetings from the SW corner. I'm a hopslam fan and will add this recipe to my to-do list. Thanks!

Glad you enjoyed it. I have not made this one for a while, but I think reading your description of your version just inspired me to do so soon. Cheers!

Anymore on this? I would like to try an extract version of this. Any help would be appreciated

I should think an extract version of this should be pretty straightforward because the grain bill is so simple.

Steep 1lb of Crystal 40

Use 11 lbs extra light DME which will put your 6.5 gallons post boil wort at about 1.070

Addition of the honey will bring you up to your 1.084.

Use the same hop schedule provided for the All Grain recipe. The beer should come out very similar.

I should think an extract version of this should be pretty straightforward because the grain bill is so simple.

Steep 1lb of Crystal 40

Use 11 lbs extra light DME which will put your 6.5 gallons post boil wort at about 1.070

Addition of the honey will bring you up to your 1.084.

Use the same hop schedule provided for the All Grain recipe. The beer should come out very similar.

Thank you.

Going to brew this tomorrow! Im pretty excited. Thank you for posting this recipe.

Back