Belle Saison ideal temperature range?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desabat

Reaction score
First time using this yeast I would like to bring out some good saison yeast flavors. At what pitch and fermenting temp have you had good results with this one? Ideally I would like to get some strong peppery dupont flavors but have read that these flavors are somewhat subdued in this strain so I just want to get a feel for what ideal temp for this yeast is.

That yeast is not as temp sensitive as most saison yeasts. I have fermented it on the cooler side(68 degrees) and as high as 90. It is a beast like 3711 and will ferment low. Most finish for me in the 1.000-1.004 range.

You are not going to get the Dupont flavors out of this yeast. The Dupont strain is much different. This yeast will give some pepper and some citrus. I think it is closer the 3711, but different.

Actually from what the manufacturer told me at NHC last year, the Belle Saison is in fact the Dupont strain in dry format which is why they were so excited about it. In that case, you should go HOT (i.e. 80*F+) and expect a pretty rambunctious fermentation. Because of the higher pitch rate it is probably less likely to stall than the 3724 (without a big starter) so hopefully your beer should finish pretty dry. Then again, I could have just been drinking the Kool-Aid and I might be wrong about all that, but when I brewed with it I thought it was pretty similar in behavior and taste to the 3724

That yeast is not as temp sensitive as most saison yeasts. I have fermented it on the cooler side(68 degrees) and as high as 90. It is a beast like 3711 and will ferment low. Most finish for me in the 1.000-1.004 range.

You are not going to get the Dupont flavors out of this yeast. The Dupont strain is much different. This yeast will give some pepper and some citrus. I think it is closer the 3711, but different.

I'd agree with almost everything beergold said.
-Not overly temperature sensitive (very versatile)
-Low, low, low finishing gravity
-Not very "Dupont" like (DuPont, as in, Saison DuPont, is in fact a blend of yeasts; not a single strain)
-Pepper and spice, some fruit, but not "Dupont" like
-Very similar to 3711 (have read it's actually same strain just diff lab and dry)

I much prefer other saison strains, particularly 3726 (when it's around). The Saison blends from WL are also pretty good too. I felt like the 3711 was too one dimensional but it makes a very "saison" beer given reasonable ingredients.

I concur with others here. I use this yeast frequently.
I usually pitch at around 20 Deg C and let it rise to ambient room temp - usually around 23 Deg C.
I don't really bother with trying to raise the temps on this strain too much because I love the flavours I get from it at ambient.
It provides a very violent fermentation though, so a blow-off is most definitely required.
It never stalls for me and FG is really low. For me, it almost always finishes at around 1.002.
It provides a nice dry finish. I always use a half pound of honey in the last 5 minutes of the boil and i use a couple of teaspoons of *pink* pepper corns at flameout.
Awesome yeast. It is absolutely my go-to Saison yeast.

I've only used it as a cider yeast, which is delicious. I added a bit of cherry and am a big fan of this.

New brewery just opened offically yesterday, talked to the brewer a bit and his saison uses belle saison as well, very tasty. He was a bit distracted and didn't seem to want to talk a whole lot. Probably pestered by all the people asking him questions, I'll come back sometime soon once it's slowed down a bit.

Older thread, just asking a question about this yeast as I interested in brewing a Saison.

I understand this Belle Saison to be variable in the temperature range it can ferment. My question is how the finished beer would be different if I fermented at perhaps 74F (ambient home) or if temp controlled at say 85F as examples. Will higher temps throw off more phenolic notes and make this beer more interesting, or is lower better?

Since summer heat is a killer for liquid yeast to be shipped, I'll go this dry route for now. Should I pitch two rehydrated dry sachets for a 5.5G batch?

Just trying to get a gauge on the way to go about fermentation with Belle Saison dry yeast.

Older thread, just asking a question about this yeast as I interested in brewing a Saison.

I understand this Belle Saison to be variable in the temperature range it can ferment. My question is how the finished beer would be different if I fermented at perhaps 74F (ambient home) or if temp controlled at say 85F as examples. Will higher temps throw off more phenolic notes and make this beer more interesting, or is lower better?

Since summer heat is a killer for liquid yeast to be shipped, I'll go this dry route for now. Should I pitch two rehydrated dry sachets for a 5.5G batch?

Just trying to get a gauge on the way to go about fermentation with Belle Saison dry yeast.

IME, with most saison yeasts:
colder = more spicy/peppery, a bit less attenuation, bit more muted yeast character
warmer = fruitier/citrusy, greater attenuation (some need it to acheive high attenuation, but not this strain), more vibrant yeast character

IME, with most saison yeasts:
colder = more spicy/peppery, a bit less attenuation, bit more muted yeast character
warmer = fruitier/citrusy, greater attenuation (some need it to acheive high attenuation, but not this strain), more vibrant yeast character

Great! Do you have a recipe suggestion that is a solid choice to try for a first Saison? I'll use Belle Saison Dry (2 sachets) as mentioned.

I plan to let it ferment at room temp 74F for stability sake.

Thanks!!!!

Lower is better. I'd pitch in the 60s F, then after about 3 or 4 days, let it rise into the 70s. I've made great saison with that process and yeast. Those who ferment hot may be happy but didn't win my local homebrew club competition -- I believe mine got 2nd place. :)

This one turned out yummy... i will be doing it again soon.

7 lbs 8.0 oz Pilsen (Dingemans) (1.6 SRM) Grain 1 58.8 %
3 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 2 23.5 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 11.8 %
12.0 oz Cane (Beet) Sugar (0.0 SRM) Sugar 4 5.9 %
0.66 oz Nugget [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 23.2 IBUs
0.50 oz Saaz [3.60 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 2.6 IBUs
0.50 oz Tettnang [3.90 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 2.8 IBUs
0.50 oz Saaz [3.60 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 1.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Tettnang [3.90 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 1.1 IBUs
10.00 g Coriander Seed (Boil 15.0 mins) Spice 10 -
10.00 g Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 10.0 mins) Spice 11 -
Belgian Saison I Ale (White Labs #WLP565)

Mashed in at 152f for 90min
Fly sparge till 6.5 gallons
one whirlflock tab ( Boiled 90min )
Chilled to 70f then pitched one half gallon starter.

after about 2 days,, i used my swamp tub with a fish tank heater ..(I also have a very small pond pump used to circulate the water so the temp stays even.) then raise the temp over a few days up to around 83 deg. I will leave it at this temp for about 5 days then bring down slowly to room temp 70deg.

I kept a bottle of this brew (1 year) and tried it. wish i kept more :(

I disagree on low temp fermentation with Bell Saison yeast. i brought up from room temperature and then put a brew belt on within a few days. It was 90 degrees for almost a week and a half. So delicious! Only thing to watch out for is that this yeast is crazy efficient. I went from 1075 to 1004 in less than two weeks. I actually wish i would have taken a hydrometer reading 1 and 1/2 weeks in to get it a bit sweeter.

check out shipwreck saison recipe on HBT. I made this a couple months ago and it was good!

jplowe - i totally agree. WLP 565 seems much tastier when 80+ deg. I have went as high as 86 at times with this yeast and never had any strange batches. Belgian Strong & Saison's for me. i love them funky flavors :) :)

I brewed a saison about six weeks ago or so with belle saison at 25C, it's turned out really good.

OG 1.050 FG 1.004
97% weyerman pale malt
3% torrified wheat
lactic acid added to adjust mash ph to 5.3

30g pilgrim first wort
50g Savinjski Golding, flavour/aroma

(about 35IBUs)

table spoon of black pepper and coriander seeds, crushed and added with about 5mins to go

water:
FVOI7Cd.jpg

I would dry hop it next time I think

I used belle saison with OG 1.060... I'm down to 1.006 and hope to make it down to 1.000

Any suggestions on how to coax it down some more? I was at 66-68 for 1 week now I have been raising it for 2 days. I'm at 73F right now and haven't seen any additional activity in the airlock

It is likely still fermenting, just very very slowly. Give it at least 2 more weeks to get down to about 1.003. I don't know if it will be able to reach 1.000, but it should still be going, just very very slowly so that you won't see anything through the airlock, even though it is still going.

It is likely still fermenting, just very very slowly. Give it at least 2 more weeks to get down to about 1.003. I don't know if it will be able to reach 1.000, but it should still be going, just very very slowly so that you won't see anything through the airlock, even though it is still going.

good info - should I keep raising the temp or what should I let it sit at for the next few weeks?

I found it to finish quite quickly, not like the supposed Dupont strain anyway which can take a while. You have 90% attenuation allready - I'd just bump the temperature up again and see if its gone down again in a few days etc

Leave it in the low to mid 70s, that will work just fine. Measure the SG about once per week and if it remains stable then it is finished. The usual rule of measuring every 2-3 days will not work for this yeast strain, it is a slow one.

Great info, thanks I will keep checking it the next week and see how it goes:mug:

I did have one question regarding temperature and the Belle Saison yeast.
Has anyone allowed temperature to fluctuate with the time of day, say 18–23 C (65-74 F) range?

Last edited:
Back