belgium whit secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bier-brauer

Reaction score
brewed a belgium whit that fermented really fast in the primary in only 7 days.
I transfered to the secondary for clearing and theres NO activity at all in the secondary, very little sediment at the bottom.
Should I leave it sit for another week, or is it ready to bottle?

brewed a belgium whit that fermented really fast in the primary in only 7 days.
I transfered to the secondary for clearing and theres NO activity at all in the secondary, very little sediment at the bottom.
Should I leave it sit for another week, or is it ready to bottle?

Hello...I would have left your beer in the primary for two weeks before you transferred to a secondary, to allow it to finish fermenting...vigorous fermentation ends between 2-6 days, but the fermentation continues on for a total of 14 days. So next time, as a rule of thumb 2 weeks primary, 1 week secondary and your beer will be fine.
As for your current beer....when you transfer beer to a secondary, you are not looking for action in the beer, instead you are looking for it to clear itself up. I recommend you take a gravity reading, if its at your target reading, leave it a few more days and bottle...if it's not at your targeted gravity reading, test it the next day again if it remains the same re-pitch yeast to help finish fermentation...let it sit for a week and take gravity readings to see if it stop fermenting.

For a Wit there's no reason for a secondary, it's supposed to be cloudy. Personally I, and many others on this forum don't use a secondary for any of their beers. A lot of us just leave it in the primary for four weeks or more, then bottle or keg. There is much debate to this and many threads that already have discussed it. Here are a couple, there are plenty more, just do a quick search.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/primary-vs-secondary-fermenting-227484/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/did-primary-vs-secondary-test-171126/

Back