Belgium Ale bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cswileyatl

Reaction score
I have a recipe with 1 week in the primary at 80 degrees 7 weeks of fermentation at 50f. I'm wondering if I should add some yeast when bottling. Any thoughts?

I recently read about adding yeast to beers with either high gravities and pooped out yeast, or to beers that have sat in long secondaries. I've never had to. And am wary of what adding yeast to a bottle would do to the flavor profile you've worked so hard to achieve. I could be wrong.
I just bottled a Strong Dark Belgian that finished at 9.5% after 2 months conditioning at secondary, and after 10 days in the bottle at 70 degrees I am finally starting to see some yeast start to build up at the bottom of the bottles. The beer was super clear, so I assume the yeast is multiplying.
I really think you should be ok with just bottling with priming sugar like normal. Just be patient and give it plenty of time. I have read that sometimes bottle conditioning in instances like this can take weeks or even a month or 2!

I have a Roeselare Red recipe in the secondary that calls for a EC-1118 yeast and sugar in the priming tank. I plan to hydrate it and add per the recipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back