Belgian Wit Hops Schedule Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shenanigans

Reaction score
Hi All,

I need some advice on the hop schedule for a Belgian-style wit beer.
I will be following a recipe I found on the net for 6 gallons using:

4.5 pounds Belgian pils
4.5 pounds pale wheat malt
1 pound Golden Naked Oats
1 pound flaked wheat
.5 pounds rice hulls
Coriander and Orange peel

The recipe recommends using a combination of
0.5 oz Crystal hops (3.5 percent AA), boiled 60 minutes
0.5 oz Hallertauer Tradition hops (6.5 percent AA) boiled 60 minutes
0.5 oz Czech Saaz hops (4 percent AA) boiled 30 minutes

However I don’t have these hops available to me and would like to brew this on Saturday.
I do however have:
1 oz Cascade 6% AA pellets
3.5 oz East Kent Goldings 5.25% AA pellets

Any suggestions on how I could use these hops in the recipe?
I’m ok if it doesn’t taste 100% traditional just as long as the hops doesn’t overpower the beer.

I’m also OK with just using one of the hops if you think it would work better on its own.
The 1oz Cascade on its own should be enough for 6 gallons.
However I will have about 2 pounds more of each malt than suggested in the recipe.
So I could potentially make an 8 gallon batch (my system doesn’t allow anymore).

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks.

Paul

Edited to add: will be using a Safbrew T-58 dry yeast instead of the recommened liquid WYeast 3944 so this will bee more of a Blegian-inspired wit beer. So again regarding the hops as long as it tastes good I'm not worried that it won't taste 100% traditional :)

T-58, the "T" stands for "trappist" so I think this yeast will be ok for a Belgian-style beer. WB-06 is the more appropriate strain from Fermentis as the "WB" stands for "Wit Bier."

As far as hops go, forget the Cascade hops and stick with the German hops and use only a bittering addition; keep your IBUs or BU:GU at .40 or less and you'll be ok.

PS. im sure the OP already brewed this beer, shame he hasn't updated it, but I'm sure people from google, in the future, will appreciate this information.

T-58, the "T" stands for "trappist" so I think this yeast will be ok for a Belgian-style beer. WB-06 is the more appropriate strain from Fermentis as the "WB" stands for "Wit Bier."

As far as hops go, forget the Cascade hops and stick with the German hops and use only a bittering addition; keep your IBUs or BU:GU at .40 or less and you'll be ok.

PS. im sure the OP already brewed this beer, shame he hasn't updated it, but I'm sure people from google, in the future, will appreciate this information.

Hi thanks for the reply.
I actually changed the grain bill a bit because traditionally malted wheat is for German and American wheat beers. I increased the Pils to 55% and used 40% crushed unmalted wheat. Like your suggestion I only did a bittering addition of 1 oz East Kent Goldings.
I followed this mash schedule
http://www.maischemalzundmehr.de/index.php?id=178&inhaltmitte=recipe
It's still fermenting as we speak so I wil be able to give a better report on the T-58 in about two weeks.
It won't be fully finished for another 3 to 4 weeks because I want to leave it in the primamry for one more week and then bottle condition a room temp for a week and then cold crash for a week.
However I did take a small sample, the OG was 1.041 and it is now at 1.018 and tasting good.
I made sure to use Indian coriander as it's a totally different flavour than the normal corinader.

So I bottled the beer 4 days ago and primed 1.5 gallons with homemade elder flower syrup and the other 3 gallons with sucrose.
I'm drinking a small bottle of the elder flower beer as i write this and it's tasting good. I do indeed get a peppery taste from the yeast but also a lot of fruit from the elder flower and citrus zest. It's still pretty young so I think the taste will change considerably over the next few weeks. I'll let it carbonate for another few days and cold crash it around 3oC. Not before I try some that was primed with normal sucraose though :)

Biermunchers recipe calls for 1 oz of Kent Goldings for 60 min only

Yes that is what I did.
Just to give an update on how my beer turned out.
The T-58 was really good for this style of beer. I fermented at about 24oC which produced some peppery flavours that complimented the citrus flavour from the zest. I would like to try it again with a different yeast for a comparison but this was exactly to my taste so I'm not sure if I should mess with it. It was easy as lemonade to drink :drunk:

Latest posts

Back