Belgian Tripple Strain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingnutbrew

Reaction score
Brewed a simple Belgian Pale Ale and the yeast simply will not fall out.

Yeast: Mangrove Jack M31 - Belgian Tripple
Brew Day was 12/10/16
Grain bill was 50/50 split Pilsner/Munich @152F Mash
OG 1.055 went to 1.013 in 3 days including a 12 hour lag
Fermented around 76F but brought out of chamber to cellar after a week (1.012)
Dropped to 1.011 over the next month (last checked 1/7/17)
Ambient cellar temps have been fairly consistent between 55-60F

Picture is current as of this morning and it has looked like this for 3 weeks and has only dropped one point. I know from research that Belgian strains do not floc well but I'm debating cold crashing or just letting it set another month as I'm in no rush.

Would love some feedback from anyone but especially from those who have experience in extended primaries with Belgian style yeasts. If I do extend primary another month I'm curious if dryhopping a small amount would be beneficial in warding off bacteria as it is a lower alcohol recipe. I would be using a mesh bag that I could pull out in a week to keep any grassy flavors from developing.

It is my plan to reclaim this yeast to use in an actual Belgian Tripple

IMG_0187.jpg

I kept a wee heavy in primary for almost 4 months due to getting busy, was greatly ticked off thinking it was ruined. Instead it was one of the best beers I ever brewed. No worries of autolysis in small homebrew batches.

I think moving it to secondary and using gelatin or other finings will give you very clear beer and free up the yeast cake for the trippel. Even if you don't fine the beer moving it will free the yeast cake for use. I'm a big fan of wlp530 as it has flocculated better than other Belgian strains for me.

I'm not familiar with this strain but I know its not uncommon to give some Belgian strains a 7-14 day cold crash at 33F to get it to clear up. Worth a shot if you have the ability to drop it that much. Alternatively, don't worry about it. It will still taste delicious!

What was your mash pH?

On this one I really don't know as my pH meter probably wasn't reading correctly but have since purchased a new one. I would have to guess it was close to the mark though as I had 75% efficiency and that is high for me.

On my notes I have pH listed as 5.33 but I've no way of knowing if that was accurate. I show where I added 1tsp Gypsum and 1/4tsp 88% Lactic Acid to the mash.

*edit: 10lbs grain in mash

If I do extend primary another month I'm curious if dryhopping a small amount would be beneficial in warding off bacteria as it is a lower alcohol recipe.

Hops are antibacterial, but one more month in primary will not increase you chance of infection if your sanitation was good and you keep your fermentation air locked.

As long as leaving it set will not have any ill effects on the yeast (which I plan to reclaim) then I am fine as I have more beer than kegs right now. It should be around 5.5%ABV and don't see it going any higher as no big change in gravity in close to a month.

Back