Belgian Triple hops critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wally556

Reaction score
Hi-

I creating a triple with some extra grains I have. How does this sound?

I really need some help on the hops and yeast. I think I have a good combo, but let me know. I want some interesting hops flavor and nice yeast esters.

Thanks!

Ferments
6lb NB Pilsen LME (late addition - 20 min)
3lb Pilsen DME
8oz Caramunich II
8oz Biscuit Malt
1.5lb clear candi syrup

HOPS
2oz tettnang @ first wort
1oz EK goldings @ 60min
1 oz Saaz @ 20

Wyeast Trappist high gravity

2 gal boil
5 gal batch

Thoughts?

Thanks!

That's a very common hop combination for trippels.

As far as the yeast goes, you may want to use a different yeast. From what I understand, high gravity doesn't contribute a lot of flavor. You may want to go with one of the trappist or abbey strains for a better ester profile. If you want the high alcohol content, you could pitch a trappist or abbey strain and once fermentation ends pitch high gravity to boost the alcohol.

From what I understand, high gravity doesn't contribute a lot of flavor.

You may be thinking of the Belgian Strong yeast, the Duvel strain. I got a bunch of fresh grapey aroma from WLP530 (same as 3787), but any "Belgian" yeast should have a pretty big flavor profile.

I got this of the Wyeast site:

Produces intense esters and phenolic characteristics with complex fruitiness. Does not produce significant amount of iso-amyl acetate (banana esters) or bubble gum esters typical of many yeast of this style. Phenol and ester production are influenced by fermentation temperatures. Phenols tend to dissipate as beer matures. This type of yeast benefits from incremental feeding of sugars during fermentation, making suitable conditions for doubles and triples to ferment to dryness. True top cropping yeast with a broad temperature range.

3787 is the best. the classic yeast for a tripel.

the recipe looks good, although it will probably come out a little too dark from the caramunich and biscuit. You could cut those quantities by half and it'll be a more appropriate color. Or you could think of using caravienne rather than caramunich.

3787 is the best. the classic yeast for a tripel.

the recipe looks good, although it will probably come out a little too dark from the caramunich and biscuit. You could cut those quantities by half and it'll be a more appropriate color. Or you could think of using caravienne rather than caramunich.

I suppose I could. I'm just looking to use up 3/4# of each that I have laying around. Perhaps I should cut it to 1/4# each. Are biscuit and Caramunich II really going to add much flavor to the triple?

How should I go about feeding this monster? Should I do 4 gallons without the candi and 1 lb DME? Then boil those up and add them at secondary?

Would it be advisable to pitch to smack packs?

I fed in the sugar (as a simple syrup) as the kraeusen was falling on my recent tripel brew. Adding the sugar during the ferment will slightly lower the pitching rate you can get away with, but 2 liquid yeast packs is still on the low side.

Just make a starter.

I fed in the sugar (as a simple syrup) as the kraeusen was falling on my recent tripel brew. Adding the sugar during the ferment will slightly lower the pitching rate you can get away with, but 2 liquid yeast packs is still on the low side.

Just make a starter.

Agreed... I recently did a Tripel that called for 2.5 lbs table sugar to be added to the boil. Instead I added 1/2 lb when fermentation started to slow, then 1 lb each day for the next 2 days. I took a FG reading last night and it finished out at about 1.007 (target was 1.012).

my normal triple is 1.077-78 using 0.91 kg. Beet Sugar (in the boil) and always drops to 1.006-8 every batch for a couple yrs now, using wlp550

Hell the batch with wyeast 3711 dropped to 1.004.

-
see post at Northernbrewer forum:
Tripel Attenuation and Sugar Feeding

I think I'll lessen the recipe a tad...make it a blonde...do a trip next time. And I switched the hops a bit. Still thinking the same yeast.

How's this:

6 lb Northern Brewer Pilsen LME
1.5lb Candi Sugar, Clear
1lb Briess Pilsen Light DME
.25 lb Biscuit Malt
.25 lb Caramunich II

first wort 1oz Spalt Select 4.5%
first wort 1oz Saaz 3.5%
0 min 1oz Saaz 3.5%
0 min 1oz Spalt Select 4.5%

Any critiques?

edit to the hops

6 lb Northern Brewer Pilsen LME
1.5lb Candi Sugar, Clear
1lb Briess Pilsen Light DME
.25 lb Biscuit Malt
.25 lb Caramunich II

first wort 1oz Spalt Select 4.5%
first wort 1oz Saaz 3.5%
0 min 1oz Saaz 3.5%

Any critiques?

How would dry hopping the saaz in secondary for 1 week change it? I know it's not to style.....but....who needs a style....

They're pretty similar as far as I can tell; Saaz might be a little more spicy/floral and Select a little more blueberry, but it's really subtle.

Back