Belgian Tripel (looking for pre-brew recipe critique)!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guy_cliff

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have already posted this thread on the Braumeister forum (apologies to those of you who frequent both), but thought I could benefit from the input of the more general brewing community.

I am looking to undertake my first ever brew this week... not only my first Braumeister brew, but first of any type: and I'm jumping in at the deep end with attempting an all grain belgian tripel. I have also (perhaps foolishly) decided to work with my own recipe; it started off with me reading the Westmalle Tripel clone in Clone Brews, and then adapting it somewhat.

I'm looking for some thoughts on the following recipe, including the rather classical/simple mash profile I've put together. I'll be making a 10l brew (10l malt pipe in 20l Braumeister), but I've put both the 10l recipe and the brew smith calculation for a 20l version since I guess most people will be more familiar with ~20l volumes.

Two questions I am particularly interested in:

1) When should I be adding the DME and candi sugar... I haven't seen to find any consensus about when to add these and this has left me a bit stumped.
2) Are these values realistically going to hit the beersmith estimated ABV, or should I be topping up with extra DME/candisugar... or just aiming at a lighter brew: since I am currently unfamiliar with the real efficiency of the braumeister (plus factoring in that I'm a first time brewer)!

Other than that, please feel free to chip in with any suggested alterations to volumes, mash profile etc. I'd rather not play with the ingredients simply because I'd like to brew this week, and if I have to wait for another delivery I'll probably not brew until a fortnights time!

(As yet un-named) Belgian Tripel (10l recipe).
Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 10.00 l
Boil Size: 12.29 l
Est Original Gravity: 1.079 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 9.2 %
Bitterness: 24.9 IBUs
Est Color: 15.7 EBC

Ingredients
2.55 kg Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (3.9 EBC)
0.10 kg Aromatic Malt (100.0 EBC)
0.10 kg Biscuit Malt (50.0 EBC)
0.10 kg Light Dry Extract (15.8 EBC)
0.50 kg Candi Sugar, Clear (1.0 EBC)

20.00 g Styrian Celeja @ 5.10%AA (60.0 min)
10.00 g Hallertauer Hersbrucker @ 2%AA (15.0 min)
10.00 g Styrian Celeja @ 5.1%AA (5.0 min)

1.0 pkg Belgian Ale Yeast (Wyeast Labs #1214)

Mash Profile
Add 13.00 l of water at 55.1 C , hold for 20 min.
Heat to 65.0 C over 5 min, hold for 30 min.
Heat to 70.0 C over 5 min, hold for 30 min.
Heat to 78.0 C over 5 min, hold for 10 min (mash out).

No sparge.

(As yet un-named) Belgian Tripel (20l recipe).
As above, but beersmith calculates ingredient quantities as:
5.81 kg Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (3.9 EBC)
0.27 kg Aromatic Malt (100.0 EBC)
0.27 kg Biscuit Malt (50.0 EBC)
0.23 kg Light Dry Extract (15.8 EBC)
1.00 kg Candi Sugar, Clear (1.0 EBC)

50.45 g Styrian Celeja @ 5.10%AA (60.0 min)
25.23 g Hallertauer Hersbrucker @ 2%AA (15.0 min)
10.00 g Styrian Celeja @ 5.1%AA (5.0 min)

2.0 pkg Belgian Ale Yeast (Wyeast Labs #1214)

Thanks for the help!
GC.

Latest posts

Back