belgian tripel hop schedule?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuckiesRevenge

Reaction score
So I'm going to be brewing a belgian tripel tomorrow and I would like some feedback about my hops schedule.

13# belgian pils
.5# torrified wheat
1# munich
.5 #acid malt (to lower mash ph)

Mash at 149F 90 min
90min boil

1oz strying goldens at 90
1oz tettnager 20
1 oz saaz at 5min.

Pitch wyeast trappist HG yeast with starter.

Thoughts? Too much? Wrong order? First time making one so I wanted some feedback before I began. Thanks!!

DuckiesRevenge said:
So I'm going to be brewing a belgian tripel tomorrow and I would like some feedback about my hops schedule.

13# belgian pils
.5# torrified wheat
1# munich
.5 #acid malt (to lower mash ph)

Mash at 149F 90 min
90min boil

1oz strying goldens at 90
1oz tettnager 20
1 oz saaz at 5min.

Pitch wyeast trappist HG yeast with starter.

Thoughts? Too much? Wrong order? First time making one so I wanted some feedback before I began. Thanks!!

Looks pretty good. Although, I would switch the Styrian Goldings and the Tettnanger.

I did a Tripel not too long ago, using only Belgian Pils malt. I did a double infusion mash at 145/154 to get maximum fermentability in the wort. Plus 2.5# sugar, got over 90% attenuation from the same yeast. It is one of the best beers I've made so far. Even got Honorable Mention at a local Pro-Am comp. Be sure you have lots of head space in your fermenter. That yeast will produce a huge krausen.

Good luck on this. Let us know how it turns out.

Looks pretty good. Although, I would switch the Styrian Goldings and the Tettnanger.

I did a Tripel not too long ago, using only Belgian Pils malt. I did a double infusion mash at 145/154 to get maximum fermentability in the wort. Plus 2.5# sugar, got over 90% attenuation from the same yeast. It is one of the best beers I've made so far. Even got Honorable Mention at a local Pro-Am comp. Be sure you have lots of head space in your fermenter. That yeast will produce a huge krausen.

Good luck on this. Let us know how it turns out.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I was thinking that it would likely have a massive fermentation. So I was thinking that splitting into two ferm buckets would be a good idea then combine and secondary in a glass carboy for a number of months. Or do you think the two buckets would be overkill?

DuckiesRevenge said:
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I was thinking that it would likely have a massive fermentation. So I was thinking that splitting into two ferm buckets would be a good idea then combine and secondary in a glass carboy for a number of months. Or do you think the two buckets would be overkill?

Good question. Mine was a 6gal batch in a bucket. Used some fermcap and it still clogged my airlock. If you are making a 5gal batch you should be ok with a blowoff tube. I tried fermenting in 2 buckets before and they came out as 2 different beers. Just keep an eye on it. If I remember correctly, you won't have to watch it long. Mine was done fermenting in 3-4 days.

that will make beer. realistically, tripels are just big belgian pilsners. 90min and 20min to 20-30 IBU is regulation. single hop should be fine. you're not using so much that you'll really taste it. plus noble hops tend to get weird in high concentrations.

14# of malt should be close to 1.070. plus sugar and you're closer to 1.090. i would ferment for 14 days, and then secondary for another 4 weeks. bottle and cold condition after you get some bubble or cold crash after 2 weeks and lager at 40F for 6 weeks in keg.

some ideas for a tripel.

for a 5 gallon batch i try mashing in the mid 140's for 30-45 at 1.25 qts:lb then add a gallon of boiling to bring it up to mid 150's. hold for another 45. step mash will dry it out a fair bit more. use a large starter. i do 4L starters for my large beers. it may be over kill but over pitching tastes better than under pitching especially with belgian yeasts. esters are better produced by warm fermentation temps rather than stressed out yeast. add sugar 3-4 days into fermentation. that way the yeast starts on the maltose first instead of simple sugars.

some of this info is debated here and someone more knowledgeable will probably give you different advice. i recommend this method because i know what it does. if someone more experienced that i would like to chime in by all means go for it.

I think I may try the step mash. My efficiency ids usually 65 with biab so I was thinking 1.083 or so. Thanks for all the above advice. I'll let you know how it turns out.

So just finished pitching the yeastand everything went well. ... except the bee that ended up in the wort. Oh well... it will be my bumble brew I guess. Tasted fantastic!

But I ended up being 1.086 with only 1#of the candi sugar. The second pound will be added after primary.

DuckiesRevenge said:
So just finished pitching the yeastand everything went well. ... except the bee that ended up in the wort. Oh well... it will be my bumble brew I guess. Tasted fantastic!

But I ended up being 1.086 with only 1#of the candi sugar. The second pound will be added after primary.

I would add the extra sugar as fermentation starts to slow. Best to get it in there before the yeast flocs.

So far so good. I've had it in primary for a month, secondary for a month, and planning to keg and let it age for even longer. At transfer it was VERY strong (~10%), so I added a half gallon of water to dilute a bit. Ended fairly dry (1.008). OG I don't remember right now. Hops were not very noticable but I'll update this weekend after I test again.

So as usual, life gut ahead of me and I just got around to bottling this beer. As it stands, hop character is almost unnoticeable. Balance is more on the malty side but altogether this beer is going to be great. I can already tell.

If I would do this again I would not change the hop schedule. Very happy. Thanks again for the help with this beer.

Latest posts

Back